Incubator Advise Needed!

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by Irine, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Irine

Irine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Los Angeles Area
    So I got few eggs in the nest and still waiting for more . I am looking in to HOVABATOR INCUBATOR 2362N & AUTOMATIC GOOSE TURNER 1614.Any suggestions would be appreciated [​IMG]

2. mitch324

mitch324 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    Macedon, NY
    I would recommend hand turning. Emu eggs need to be turned 180 degrees.

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Hand turning seems best for Emu and peafowl eggs......

4. Irine

Oct 6, 2011
    Los Angeles Area
    I am planning to get a turner for my turkeys,sorry I forgot to mention that, but the incubator choice is what concerns me... I can afford the Sportsman .Is Hovabator a descent unit?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I've hatched my last batches in my older Hova bator with fan. That is what i'm using for this hatch also.

6. Irine

Oct 6, 2011
    Los Angeles Area
    Quote:You have no issues with temperature controls or humidity?

7. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    I have used the same Hova Bator forced Air Model for 7 years now and it is still just as reliable as it was on day one.

Be sure it is the wafer thermostat model, as I have had trouble with the electric thermostats. Once I set the temperature it holds regardless of the temperature of the room. The humidity is usually fairly reliable as well once you get a feel for the amount of water to add.

I once hatched duck, goose, quail, and chicken eggs all at the same time and had a very successful hatch.

8. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

No problems with temp, just adjust the jumpers to required setting. For humidity for the emus, I don't use the tray. I take a plastic drinking cup, cut it in half and fill 1/2 way with water.... it keeps it at the 33% humidity for me better... but I'm in FL.

I think a Hovabator is a good incubator for the price and have always used it for small hatches.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  9. Irine

Oct 6, 2011
    Los Angeles Area
    Quote:What is the model of your Hova Bator ?

10. Irine

Oct 6, 2011
    Los Angeles Area

No problems with temp, just adjust the jumpers to required setting. For humidity for the emus, I don't use the tray. I take a plastic drinking cup, cut it in half and fill 1/2 way with water.... it keeps it at the 33% humidity for me better... but I'm in FL.

I think a Hovabator is a good incubator for the price and have always used it for small hatches.

I got my incubator,set the temperature at 97, but still fighting with the humidity. I filed the cup at the very bottom,my humidity is till to high. I keep taking the water out, little more and there wont be any water left in the cup. I am panicking now

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by