Incubator air holes

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gootziecat, Aug 29, 2010.

1. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    I built a rendition of Miss Prissy's incubator. It's styrofoam, measuring 20 1/2" x 14 1/2". How many air holes should it have and where should they go? Top and bottom areas for cross ventilation? Not too close to the light bulb? And when should the air holes be opened and closed? Thanks.

2. txmel

txmel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    boerne, tx
    i think there need to be air holes along the bottom for air flow and then some more along the top for ventilation when the eggs are hatching. when i built my first incubator i put 3 along the bottom on both sides (total of 6) and place 4 along the top with wine bottle corks in them so they would be plugged most of the time then removed the plugs during hatching. hope this helps and good luck. it didn't seem to matter that the holes were close to the light bulb for me. the ones at the bottom weren't very big about the size of a pencil which is what i used to make them [​IMG]

3. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    If it is me, I would put about two 1/2" holes. One behind the fan and other other would be on top or close to the top from the opposite side. The hole can be seal when need to control the humidity and scott tape would be fine for the job.

4. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

for my bator (polystyrene) I make hole at every side of my bator, and I open it always to let fresh air flow.

I also make a bigger hole at 2 side, I use it as "temp controller" I open it when temp too high and close it while temp down, if temp too low, I turn on reserved bulb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by