Incubator Air

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dncarr09, Mar 27, 2012.

1. dncarr09

dncarr09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2012
    Lenoir City Tennessee
    Hello, I am pretty new to incubating. I just wanted to get some thoughts from some experienced incubators out there. I am also new to BYC and love this site. My question is I have my incubator in a coat closet. There is no vents in this closet so the temperature of the closet doesn't fluctuate very much. I thought that would be a good place to put the incubator. There are holes in the top of the incubator so it can get air. I have a Hova-Bator 1602N with a fan and egg turner. I am just concerned with it being in the closet with the door shut is it getting enough fresh air.I read in my manual that came with the incubator that insufficient oxygen can kill or hurt your hatch. Should I open the door? I have been leaving it about half way open. Also, the temperature moves in between 99.4 and 100.4 is that ok too? Am I ok to shut the door or should I leave it open? I am currently hatching 11 English Lemon Cuckoo Orpington eggs. I am on day 3. Any advice would be great. Humidity is between 45-50%

2. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I think the closet will be fine. I think your humidity is to high. I run mine at 30% to 35% days 1 - 18. Your temp should be fine as long as you aren't using that thermometer that comes with it. Those are junk and way off.

3. dncarr09

dncarr09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2012
    Lenoir City Tennessee
    Thank you, I have a digital thermometer and hygrometer in there. I actually have 2 in there to make sure they are pretty spot on. The incubator web site said 55-60 percent on the humidity. I have read some lower like yours, and some higher so I was just trying to go middle of the road. Thanks for the advice. I have a bunch of babies, but I bought them from a local breeder. This is only my second attempt at hatching. If I can close the door, I will I just didn't want to cut off the oxygen since the closet was kinda small like a 4 foot by 4 foot .[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  4. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

Even with the door shut on the closet I don't think its going to be a air tight area. You will open the closet to check on your eggs enough to allow fresh air in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by