incubator and hatcher???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ro.netcmarie, Mar 26, 2009.

1. ro.netcmarie

ro.netcmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2008
    travelers rest, sc
    could anybody explain why they use both??? can you have just the bator and let them hatch in it or should you have a hatcher too?? just wanted to know. seen alot of people using both,and some dont, just wanted to know if i need one to hatch ducks in. if so i gotta get busy!!!! [​IMG]

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    You only have to have a incubator. A hatcher is best if you are doing staggered hatches. But its not a must. [​IMG]
    ETA: You place your eggs in the hatcher the last 3 days, that way you can leave your bators temp and humidity alone for the eggs that are still in there. And you dont have to worry about opening the bator, while eggs are hatching.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2009
  3. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

My home made cabinet incubator is challenging to get the humidity up to or beyond 50%, so for hatching I am going to use my hova bator. Plus, I have a staggered hatch: some going in tomorrow, some going in probably Monday. So, they will have different humidity needs at different times.

4. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    They can hatch in the bator just fine. The hatcher is used when you want to do a staggered hatch, which is when you start incubating at different times. Then you need to take them out for the hatch, because you are need to raise the humidity and that would be harmful to the other eggs.

If you only want to put in one batch at a time, and then wait untill they hatch before starting anymore, they will be fine.

5. algopurple

algopurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Ripley TN
    Is there a thread for beginners that want to learn how to hatch their own eggs?

6. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
  7. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
  8. ro.netcmarie

ro.netcmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2008
    travelers rest, sc
    thanks everyone. lots of great info to read and to digest!!!!!! thanks again!!![​IMG]

9. algopurple

algopurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Ripley TN
    Thanks Leah. Just bookmarked that page. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by