Incubator And Hatcher

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jm93030, Jan 17, 2011.

1. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Hello guys I am here bothering you with more questions, thank you all for being so patient

If I have 2 incubator styrofoam stile and like to use one as incubator and the other one as hatcher

do I have to set the hatcher in a diferent temperature and humidity

or use one as incubator and the other one to dry the chicks

please any advice

2. Flashy2003

Flashy2003 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2010
    Connecticut
    Im no expert but, you can use one for Incubating and the other for Lock Down. That way you can have staggered hatches. And at Lock Down you want your humidity some were around 65%.

3. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    I have 3 but keep one as an incubator with humidity around 30-40% (for me others use higher/lower but this works well for me). I always keep my hatcher (used for last 3 days (lockdown) ready with humidity around 55% till someone pips then I bump it up to 65%. Temps should remain the same 99.5 if you have a fan 101 on the top of the eggs if not. Don't quote me on the 101 as I have fans in all bators.
    Hope I've helped!
    Good luck

4. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    You are right.[​IMG]

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I haven't done any staggered hatches yet, so I haven't considered using a hatcher in addition to the incubator(s). Well, my hatches are staggered, but they're handled individually in their own incubators. I'm beginning to think that might be a good idea, though..... in case I do start stuffing eggs into ALL the incubators and fill up empty spots in every one.....

6. SimplySplendidSilkies

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    Quote:I write the day I set the egg on the egg when doing a staggered hatch. It is easy to get them mixed up later.

7. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    My first setting was a mixed hatch and although it went OKAY.. it was nervewracking in the same incubator.. divider between the eggs turning and the ones on lockdown was just too stressful for me - as if any hatch is not [​IMG]

I was fortunate enough to get a second incubator just to use as a hatcher before lockdown on my first group of eggs in the incubator.. and am very happy. Just put my second round of eggs in there for Thursday hatch and have others happily cooking in the incubator.

Like SimplySplendidSilkies - I date eggs as I put them in.. I have three test eggs from a new roo that will be in the hatcher all alone.. but I am happy to have that advantage.

WAIT... do I see some open spaces in the incubator???? [​IMG]

Shelly

8. SimplySplendidSilkies

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    Shelly what do you use to divide the eggs. I have eggs from my flock set with shipped eggs when I go into lockdown I will need to divide them so I won't get confussed. I want to keep all that hatch from the shipped eggs and grow them up some before culling.

Thanks,
    Tisha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by