incubator and hatching questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by luluann, Feb 7, 2013.

1. luluann

luluann Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2012
    Tennessee
    Tonight I was give a styrofoam incubater. Now I know it isn't much but here are my questions
    To fill it with water I put it in the L shaped areas? There are little pin holes in the bottom and they leak water?

How many time di you turn your eggs?
    how long do I need to leave it on before I can put eggs in?
    and if you have any other information you can give me please do.

2. tristancolli

tristancolli Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Kinmount
    Hey ok well. the section you put water in shouldnt have any holes..... But for the other questions i let my bator run 72 hours before setting eggs some people let it sit less but a minimum or 24 hours. i turned my egg approxamitly every 4 hours. what type of bator is it?? little or hova???? i have a hova and i find that when i go intolock down i always att in a soaking wet spunge approxamitly 1 inch by 2 injust to help get the humidity right but all bators will run different so you may not need to.also if the room is a cooler room you are having the bator in then i taped a bath towel around the bottom section anda small blanket overtop.

3. luluann

Dec 28, 2012
    Tennessee
    It doesn't have a name on it. Like I said it was given to me.
    also it has a grate in it does it go ontop or bottom

4. luluann

Dec 28, 2012
    Tennessee
    Also how do I lay my eggs before I place in the bator and how long do they need to sit before the go in

5. tristancolli

tristancolli Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Kinmount
    sorry it took so long to reply. When I am storing eggs before incubating I have them in an egg carton and i elivate oneside and then every 4 hours i elivate the other side. Once the bator has temp and humidity leveled out they can go right in. the grate goes under the eggs

6. luluann

Dec 28, 2012
    Tennessee
    I have a few more questions
    what does the temperature in the Incubater need to be?
    If you have a auto Turner how do you sit the eggs in?
    If I did put eggs in wrong can they be switched around?
    What does the humidity need around?
    Also I looked online and the incubater I have seems to be the little giant?

7. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    1 person likes this.
  8. bacn60s

bacn60s New Egg

Jan 5, 2015
    I have 42 EGGS in my inkcabator and when I took them off the Turner THEY were making so much noise and now it's been three days and I haven't heard a noise yet .Will they still be all right

9. kuchchicks

kuchchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2015
    Have you candled them recently? Chicken eggs? Day 21 today? Being able to hear peeping means there was an internal pip. If it were me and it was 3 days since hearing anything I would probably candle them to look for movement.

10. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    You have to read this link! I read it twice before my first incubation. I read the whole thing once, then went back and read it again, clicking & reading every single link that was given! I still refer to it when a question comes up and then I start reading again, because it was so good!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by