1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubator and kid...suggestions & advice

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cetawin, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Okay here is the deal. My daughter wants to try to hatch a couple of chicks. I have found a small incubator that I can get for her that will hold 2 or 3 chicken eggs; She is almost 12 and a very responsible animal lover. The incubator is a manual meaning she will have to turn the eggs herself. Here are my questions:

Do you think it would be a good experience for her to see how it is done and learn that it is not easy...meaning she cannot just put them in there one day and walk in another day and there be perfect babies waiting for her?

Do you think going manual turn for a first experience is the way to go? I am leaning on this because I think she needs to know exactly what mother hen goes through.

The chicks would be very welcomed here in our little flock for sure. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, advice, comments?

Thanks. Her Birthday is coming up and I am considering the incubator and a few eggs as a gift.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  2. RoostersCrow

RoostersCrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Everything I have heard about those real small incubators (plastic dome, hold two or three eggs and use a light bulb) say they are near impossible to hatch anything in. At least the typical still air styro-bator with say at least six eggs might be a good start.

I think everyone should hand turn eggs at least once...

Afterall.. I did... just once though!

Good luck [​IMG]

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Oh I saw that thing and I doubted it would work...

The one I was looking at did not seem too user friendly with the humidity levels and monitoring for a kid... so I am looking at these two models....

R Com3

This one would hold more eggs but I like it anyway:

HovaBator

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    For the cost of the R-com3 you can buy a Hovabator from GQF with a turner . The Genesis 1588 is preset. You plug it in and let it get warm, add water and then eggs and wait for 21 days. It is the only model in this range that is this high functioing.

With the turner it holds 42 eggs with out it is closer to 60 if you hand turn.

For the money you will spend you will by far be more pleased with the Hovabator. If you decide it is not something you want to continue in the future you can sell the Hova and get back every penny you put in to it. The other one you won't.

5. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Go with the Hovabator. It holds more and you know this is probably going to be an obsession, judging by the way things are going on this forum--take Miss Prissy for example. [​IMG] Besides, I think you should give her the very best experience the first time so that she knows she enjoys it and then try other things. This model won't do goose eggs (have to get a different turner) but it will do everything else. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Or, you could buy a turner and build a bator together. That would certainly be educational. There are plenty of plans here on BYC of those that members have built.

6. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The hova will do goose eggs but unless you buy the goose egg turner you will have to hand turn them.

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Thank you for all the input. I am thinking the Hova is the way to go...I am just VERY afraid of having the ability to hatch so many babies. *snicker*

I will check out the Genesis model MissPrissy... thank you.

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Miss Prissy...can the Genesis also be used as a hatcher?

9. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Quote:I guess that is what I meant, but you said it better.

10. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Do not stagger your hatch and only set 1 clutch of eggs at a time and you will be fine. The incubator is the hatcher. It is when you set eggs with different hatch dates that you have to have a second one to hatch in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by