incubator at lower temp

Discussion in 'Quail' started by funsized72, Aug 17, 2014.

1. funsized72

funsized72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2014
    SF bay area CA
    I put my quail eggs into the incubator like a day and a half ago. The mercury thermometer said 99-100f but the digital thermometer i used to see the temp said 93f. Is it okay for the eggs to be off temp for a day or so or did I do something horribly wrong.[​IMG]

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi
    Is your thinking they were above or below temp they should be? Below May delay development slightly I always think that better than over what they should be. Is your incubator still air or forced air (fan). I have found forced air a better incubator as you have no hot or cold spots with them. :fl

3. funsized72

Jul 19, 2014
    SF bay area CA
    Its a still air. And I was wondering if it was ok for it too be like 5 degrees under temp for a day or so.

4. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    I had the same problem, if you want to 'dig' into correcting any inconsistencies, then on the web there are a couple few sites sharing how to recalibrate your thermostats, or test them, or tell you whether or not you should throw them out (like I had to) and start 'fresh'. If I could find the sites I was eyeballing the other day I will post them asap. They are out there, including YouTube....hopefully you'll also get good advice here and be able to compare notes to see a thread of consistency for the best means to get it done right the first time.
    Both my thermometer and my hygrometer were garbage. Best to find out now...
    Good luck.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  5. funsized72

Jul 19, 2014
    SF bay area CA
    Thank you for your advice

6. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    Mine was waaay off for the first 2.5 days before I caught the actual temp (way low) and I just candled my 'babies' and have, to date, only lost one to the 'Red Rind"
    the others, have thus far, been kicking around, growing like little champs...hopefully you will run into the same situation.
    Fingers crossed for you...I am living proof that it can not go as you planned and still have the potential to work itself out.
    Please check out Brinsea's site as they have an article called 'What if the power goes out?' It definitely helped me take a deep breath again. http://www.brinsea.com/Articles/Advice/PowerOff.aspx
    Cheers,

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  7. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Yes I agree with HugHess about checking out your thermometer and hygrometer I had several of them before I invested in a Brinsea octagon advance ex with humidity pump which takes all the worry out of incubating. About the 5 degrees below I'm not sure it seems quite a lot but eggs are wonderful things!! In my opinion I would think they might be slightly delayed in development. Good luck.

8. funsized72

Jul 19, 2014
    SF bay area CA
    I took a second thermometer and now they are back up to a 100 degrees[​IMG]

9. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    Yes![​IMG]

I also forgot to mention that BYC's 101 for incubating and hatching in their learning center is 'fab' for facts and general guidelines...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by