Incubator buying dilemma

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by conny63malies, Jun 13, 2008.

1. conny63malies

conny63malies Crowing

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    So heres the diddley deal. I want to hatch more quail eggs to raise for sale and eggs. But handturning 120 eggs is prob a giant pain in the rear end. So i though i just go buy a turner, but a GQF turner is like 45$ +S/H and then i till have obly one bator/hatcher.
    Should i buy a 2nd bator with turner or just a turner. I guess i could make a hatcher myself though.
    If i would buy a bator it would be a 1588Genesis or a Brower top hatch. which one is better/ cheaper? Any other that i should take into consideration? Also where do i get the best deal?

2. bwhite28

bwhite28 In the Brooder

Apr 7, 2007
    Southeastern PA
    I would buy an electric turner and don't worry about buying another incubator. I have my quail eggs in the electric turner until to 20th or 21st day and then i pull them out and set the on wire floor of the incubator, that way you only need one incubator instead of spending $100-150 for another incubator.

If you feel you should buy another incubator I would definietly go with the 1588Genesis. The easiest thing in the world to operate. All you have to do is add water every few days. I know that if you buy the 1588Genesis from the GFQ website it costs $115+shipping. The turner is like you said about $45+shipping. If you like your incubator you have and don't want to spend a lot of money, I would suggest buying just the turner. By the way where do buy/get your quail eggs?

3. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Songster

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
  4. conny63malies

conny63malies Crowing

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I bought them from ebay. i wanted the the jumbo cortunix/XLD1. I prob. get another batch from a fellow BYC'er to expand my gene pool. but before that i have some muscovy eggs coming.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: