Incubator/chick question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Katbird01, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Katbird01

Katbird01 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2014
    Mississippi
    3 of my 4 eggs hatched yesterday (Yay!!!!). All the chicks are fluffy and moving around great today, still in the incubator. The final egg has a pip but is progressing much slower than the previous hatchings. The paper towel I put on the bottom of the incubator is getting pretty gross looking, the last egg is getting pushed around quite a bit by the other 3 chicks, and they occasionally peck at it.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer already, but should I still leave the 3 hatched chicks in until the final chick has been in the incubator for 24 hours? It's a Brinsea Mini Advance and with 3 chicks and an egg it's already pretty crowded in there. Could I remove the 2 oldest and leave the the newest hatch to keep the other one company? Or just leave it alone like I'm supposed to do and sit on my hands for another day?

2. roseyred

roseyred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014
    Leave it be...unless it needs so assistance like it pipped at the wrong end or something. If you help it to early it'll be weak ): now if the others start to draw blood or really harm it id say remove them and make sure it's plenty humid in there

3. Katbird01

Aug 17, 2014
    Mississippi
    I couldn't stand seeing the dirty paper towel or watch the last egg being rolled around like a bowling ball so I quickly removed the hatchlings and put them in the brooder. I don't know about the final egg but I feel better seeing it on a fresh paper towel. It's still moving about and trying to pip out.

4. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    If it has been pipped more than 24 hours it may be shrink wrapped. In that case you will have to help it out of the egg. Is the hole getting bigger but no unzipping?

5. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    If they were all set at exactly the same time, and the same size eggs, I would probably help out the last one. This is controversial because sometimes they will still hatch on their own, or be too weak to survive after you help them. There are articles on this site about how to do it if this is your first time.

If the chick has started zipping and then stopped, I generally remove the top of the shell and let them push out. If they have only pipped and not progressed any further after 24 hours, I'd say their chances are bleak either way.

I helped a little Legbar pullet out of last Monday's hatch and I'm glad I did, she's doing great now.

6. Katbird01

Aug 17, 2014
    Mississippi
    They were all set at the same time. We noticed a faint crack last night about this time. Now it is just a big hole. No zipping yet. I'll read up on helping it out but will give it a few more hours before trying it.

7. Katbird01

Aug 17, 2014
    Mississippi
    #4 came out all on its own last night. Doing fine this morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by