Incubator EMERGENCY! Thermometer is showing 2 readings

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicks_N_Horses, May 18, 2009.

1. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    I turned my eggs and shut the bator this morning. Then I go back about 20 minutes later to check the temps. and the thermometer is distorted or something... There is a 1/4 of an inch of the red mercury showing at 101 and then it is clear for 20 degrees and the second line of mercury is at 79. So, there is a big gap in the mercury.

Why is this and is the top part still reading correctly?

I have very precious eggs in here right now and I am about to have a heart attack!

2. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Southern Idaho
    It is NOT reading correctly. Unless you have fiddled with the thermostat, the incubator is probably holding ok. Take the thermometer out and heat it up ( hot water tap?) until the two bits of red are joined . The upper one will have to go all the way to the top in order to force them together. When it cools back down it should be just one column of red.

Jim

3. Chicks_N_Horses

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    OK, I will do this.

4. Chicks_N_Horses

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Thanks, that worked. Now I am going to monitor it for a bit. Do you think it will still be reading correct temps.?? Why do you think that happend?

I have already ran out and caught my broody hen. She is on standby!

5. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Southern Idaho
    I'm not sure why it happens. Could be a cheap therm. maybe got bumped a bit?They usually read ok as long as there is not even a small bubble in the column. Used to have to do that once in a while, but now I try to use digitals.

Jim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by