incubator fan add on/incubator improvements

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DixieChickie, Aug 10, 2011.

1. DixieChickie

DixieChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    VA
    I have an ExoTerra incubator, just finished a hatch with it. Loved it held gteat humidity, and temp was steady all along. Its basically a still air, and there is a difference between shelves in temp. I would like to add a fan so I can use more space in it. I'm collecting eggs from my sex link girls to incubate in the next few days.

The bator has a fan in the bottom area that only runs when it has to heat up some....the fan sucks air in from the bottom and out through the top where the heating element is. Where should I put a fan? On the side blowing across the top to the other side? Or......?

[​IMG]

2. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I apologize for what will be a vague answer, I don't know your model.

Fan should be positioned where it does NOT blow directly on the eggs. Since heat rises it would be better to place fan at top or bottom , to move the air up and down. IF you have time before next set, do some experimenting with the location and the effect.

I put a PC fan in my LG on a 6v and it doesn't move air enough; needs a 12 volt. It's attached to the top pulling air up to hit the ceiling. To blow down would be on to the eggs.

The one I built has a bigger fan and blows across the bottom, below the eggs, up the far end and around.

Sorry it's not very specific. A lot depends on the fan your installing and where you can fit it.

GL

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    My hovabator has the fan on the top and it blows over the eggs. You can see it if there's fuzz in it.

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I would just rewire the fan it has to stay on....

5. DixieChickie

Mar 24, 2011
    VA
    You think that will be enough movement? I asked hubby to do that last weekend, but he hasn't had the time yet. Lol

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Should be.

7. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Wiring a small computer fan to put in one of the corners of the incubator should be good. I would put it in the upper back corner of the incubator.

8. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    I did a drawing showing how I would put the fan in the incubator. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. DixieChickie

Mar 24, 2011
    VA
    Hubby wired up a fan a couple of weeks ago for me. The styrofoam bator fans face the top....should I mount this blowing into the corner or out of the corner

Ps thanks for taking the time for the schematic. [​IMG]

10. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Blowing out of the corner. You're welcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by