Incubator Fan Air Flow Rate - Built in fan vs 80mm Computer fan

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Runawaylobster, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Runawaylobster

Runawaylobster Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    Redland/Homestead Fl
    I have an LG still air. I purchased an 80mm computer fan and installed it in the exact way that the LG fan kit is installed, except used external power supply instead of wiring it into the built in power supply. I noticed on my last hatch that I was getting drying during hatch even though the rH was very high, and I wondered also if the fan was creating a particular air flow pattern within the incubator that caused hot and cold spots.

Is anyone familiar with the air flow rates of the 80mm fan vs the built in LG fan or in fact has any experience with this type of design issue. I would love to hear about it.

i'm getting ready to start a new hatch and i'd like to make any necessary mods before I start

2. Knittycat

Knittycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    I've noticed that the LG fans have a plate a couple of centimeters from the bottom so the fan does not blow directly on the eggs. If the fan blows directly on the eggs, it can dry them out despite the humidity.

3. Runawaylobster

May 2, 2012
    Redland/Homestead Fl
    my fan is installed so it blows upwards and away from the eggs, i was thinking it might be that the computer fans run at a higher speed possibly.

4. Runawaylobster

May 2, 2012
    Redland/Homestead Fl
    I flipped the fan so it blows downwards and added a baffle plate to redirect the flow (attempt to copy the LG fan). I have a new hatch going now and i'm managing to keep temp control with the plugs out. We will see what happens when they start to hatch

5. Knittycat

Knittycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    I'm so happy to hear that it's working well! Best of luck to you!!

6. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    What happened? Did it work?

7. Runawaylobster

May 2, 2012
    Redland/Homestead Fl
    it was much improved. I got good solid temperature control. Humidity was really hard to keep up, so i am going to use a 9v power supply next
    time instead of a 12v, this should slow the fan down.

4 of 12 hatched but they are very healthy chicks so I thing the post office had much to do with the remainder that didn't hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by