1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubator Fan--when is it supposed to come on?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Amanda31, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Amanda31

Amanda31 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2010
    Just got a little giant incubator with the fan. I plugged it in and nothing from the fan, I thought it was supposed to run all the time. Am I wrong here?

Thanks so much

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

It should be on all the time.

3. Amanda31

Sep 27, 2010
    Quote:Thats what I thought, this is the second one from the store that wont work... /sigh I was hoping that maybe after it came up to temp it would come on but no luck yet. There isnt anything extra switch I need to flip or anything lol ?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Is it hooked up?

5. Amanda31

Sep 27, 2010
    Seems to be, it came mounted and the wires are connected to the board.....but when I plug it in only the heater works. This is the second one from two different stores that seems to have this problem. I wiggled the wires hoping it would show me a loose one but no luck there either.

6. Amanda31

Sep 27, 2010
    Ok got it....I guess. The power wires were tied into the power cord with those cheap "clip" connections...you know the kind where you push a metal clip across both wires and it cuts into the insulation of both wires making a connection. I monkey'd with those for a bit with no luck but noticed the fan motor was starting to warm up so I knew I had power. I tapped the motor a few small taps and whirrrrrr....the fan came on. This is shaky ground to start with but I will keep an eye on the situation and make sure it doesnt lockup again. I suspect it was just because it was sitting for so long on the store shelf.

Thanks for everyones help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by