Incubator for a first timer?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sutherland906, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Sutherland906

Sutherland906 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2016
    Upstate, NY
    I'm looking to get a decent incubator for chicken eggs. Auto turn is a must. Looking to try a dozen or so first time, but wouldn't mind having one that would hold a few more. Would prefer to stay around $100, but will take any suggestions. I plan on the first run being some more expensive eggs.. I really don't want to mess up!

2. br0nc0

br0nc0 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2017
    Slovenia
    I had a Janoel JN24 incubator on lease for two hatches (80-90% hatch rate) last year, it's a good size (24 average eggs, 28 bantam) and has automatic turning. I believe it sells for about $170 on ebay. Not extremely well insulated, so I reccomend to put it in a styrofoam box or something if hatching during winter. There are a ton of cheap generic chinese incubators out there, they might work great and you can get some for $80 with automatic turning and for 50, 60 eggs. The problem with those is that parts get broken sometimes (heater unit did in mine and i have to replace it- not an expensive fix, but it's a drag) and they are mostly poorly insulated, so a styrofoam box to put them in is a must.

As with everything, quality incubators from top companies are usually more reliable and last longer, but also might cost 2 or 3 times more, so I suggest you do a thorough research and compare reviews, then make an informed decision. Also keep in mind, that you might get a 12 egg incubator for $100, but it might be better to order a bigger one now if oyu plan on hatching more eggs in the future. All incubators take time to figure out, so you might have a bad hatch even with an expensive one, stay patient and good luck!

3. Sutherland906

Jun 30, 2016
    Upstate, NY
    Yeah, I want to stay away from the cheap Chinese crap. I'd be too nervous it would die in the middle of a hatch.

I'm taking a big chance... I picked up a little giant 9200, with auto turner, for $20. The guy had said he always had great sucess with it, he just bought a larger unit. I'm going to do a test run with a few of my own eggs. Hopefully it will be sucessful... then have a go with lavender orp eggs :love

4. TheHoranFarm

TheHoranFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2014
    Rhode Island
    Hi. I wouldnt use the chinese incubator either. I had one and it died mid incubation. I rushed to get a new one.

5. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Good deal on the bator!

LG 9200 that has the round metal heating style element. So still air.

Keep temp at 102 at top of eggs.
    When i incubate in styros found out it works best for me to incubate dry. Then raise humidity to 70 plus for hatch.

Good luck on your future egg hatching.

6. Sutherland906

Jun 30, 2016
    Upstate, NY
    Exactly, I'd be way too nervous for that. Were you able to save them?

Thank you! Hoping I can figure this out without any casualties!

7. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Although they are more expensive, you might be able to find a used Brinsea. Right out of the gate, after everyone told me to set extra eggs until I learned how to use the incubator, I've always had a 100% hatch rate with my own eggs. (Less with shipped eggs). I figured the Brinsea is the perfect incubator for "Incubating for dummies" Which is me.)
    You can take the attitude it will pay for itself with the extra per centage chicks hatched.
    I would try to find a used one and once you have had some success you can offer to do some custom hatches to have it help pay for itself.

8. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013

I have a brinsea and love it. So will agree with above post.

But my incubator addiction got the better of me and I bought 1502 cabinet.
    :oops:

9. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    SHHHHHHH! I'm thinking of going bigger. So far just running the incubator more. [​IMG]

10. mick92

mick92 Just Hatched

Jan 28, 2017
    I tried one of those cheap 7 egg Chinese ones, what a load of rubbish I opened to turn the eggs on day 2 they were red hot no eggs developed. Avoid!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by