Incubator for Hatching suggestions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicken pickin, Feb 10, 2013.

1. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    I am wanting to get a second incubator to use as a hatcher. My flock is recently giving me fertile eggs and want to set them as I collect them without having lockdown and hatching problems. Right now I incubate with the Hovabator 1588 w automatic egg turner and it works great I love it. I was looking for an incubator that is reliable but not too expensive. I just saw an ad on craigslist in my area that is a Hovabator 1602n for $50 new never used. Is this an ok incubator to use as a hatcher? Why and why not? Also any other types of incubators you can suggest would be great. I thought about the LG from Tractor supply also since it is like $35 but I have seen mixed reveiws.

2. DraigAthar

DraigAthar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
    Hi there! :)

You can use pretty much any incubator as a hatcher, really. I use a Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance as my main incubator, and a Brinseas Octagon 40 as my hatcher. I use the bigger one for hatching because it gives me plenty of room to set up pedigree baskets for the different eggs. Plus I got the bigger one on discount! If you call up the Brinsea customer service line, they almost always have factory blemished incubators (cosmetic only, they've been tested and work properly) available at greatly reduced prices. I love my Brinsea 'bators! Of course, that Hovabator might be a great deal too, if it is in good shape!

3. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Thanks

I think Im going to email the one on craiglist and see if I can get a deal from them. That model just has really tiny veiwing windows so Im hesitant since me Kevin and the girls like to stare at the eggs to see whats happening. The small veiwing windows might cause fights for the good veiwing seat lol.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  4. DraigAthar

DraigAthar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
    LOL! Heard that! I love my Brinsea 'bators for that reason, too - lots of viewing space!

5. animalsrock123

animalsrock123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2013
    I use my hovabator model 1602n for incubating and hatching, and it works great! The hovabator comes with easy instructions, although it takes a while for the temp. to adjust (usually about a day). I think it would work great as a hatcher. Good luck and hope you have good hatches!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by