Incubator for Regular Hatching of Chicken and Quail

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WesternWynde, Oct 26, 2016.

1. WesternWynde

WesternWynde Just Hatched

Oct 21, 2016
    I would like some recommendations!

I am looking for an incubator with capacity for approximately 30 chicken eggs, something that will withstand regular use, as I am hoping to be hatching chicks for sale at my local farmer's market next year. I would like to be able to hatch button quail eggs in the same incubator when I am not using it for chickens.

There are so many options out there, and I am sure there are many that would fit the bill, but I've love to hear from all of you what you have had good experiences with. Thanks for any thoughts!

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

I love both the Brinsea and RCom brands. I've had Brinseas for years (a Mini Advance, a Mini Eco, and an old Octagon 20 Eco DX) and just recently started working with R-Coms (a 10 Pro and a Suro 20 pro).

If you're looking for a good quality incubator that does a decent amount, an Octagon or Suro might work for you. They've been giving me great hatch rates, and hold 20-24 standard eggs each.

One thing I did to increase hatch rates with smaller incubators was use a basic Mini Eco as a hatcher and one of the larger 24 egg models (this season it was the old Octagon) for the first 18 days of incubation. By doing a staggered hatch and adding/removing eggs every four days or so, I was able to hatch 20 chicks each week instead of 24 every 3 weeks.

3. WesternWynde

WesternWynde Just Hatched

Oct 21, 2016
    Thank you @QueenMisha, super helpful. Oh, those RCom incubators! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by