incubator frustration!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by brian348, Jan 21, 2011.

1. brian348

brian348 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2010
    Drakesboro
    ok here's what I got, I have a little giant (I know) still air and have installed a small computer fan for circulation. since adding this my temps are all over the place (was not good without it either), cold spots and hot spots. I purchased 4 dozen hatching eggs and as of now only 22 show any sign. I'm pretty sure some just was not fertile but can't believe that many could be. What could be the problem? At first I considered the fan was to strong so I reduced the voltage to the fan, slowing the cfm. I recently purchased a hova-bator and moved the remaining eggs over to it. It is also a still air and I would like to add a fan but sure if I should. I have read that air circulation increases that hatch rate and hoping to load it again if the remaining eggs hatch on schedule next thursday.

I also have a borrowed little giant that holds temps as good as anyone could want. Go figure.

As long as your looking I have another question for homemade cabinet owners. Where should the thermostat be located? Close to the heat source, middle of the cabinet, or at the shelves?

thanks, Brian

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Where to put the thermostat is relative to the type of thermostat. Water heater thermostats need to be close to the heater, wafers need to be close to the fan.

3. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Which direction to you have the fan blowing?

4. brian348

brian348 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2010
    Drakesboro
    It is blowing downward

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

If there is a vent right over the fan then downward is not so good.

6. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

That is correct.. it will suck in cold air into the bator.. Make it blow UP Away from the eggs... Get you some spacers to give it about a 3/4 to an inch from the lid to the fan. Make sure you put something over the bottom of the fan so the chickies won't get their newly hatched heads wacked off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by