Incubator - good or bad??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mrs_ed, Aug 4, 2011.

1. mrs_ed

mrs_ed Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    Phx, AZ
    I have been looking for the best incubator as close to $100 as possible, was thinking of buying this one...

GQF Thermal-Flow Hova-Bator Air Egg Incubator w/ Universal Automatic Egg Turner...its on amazon new for 94.99.

Yes? No?

Never hatched chicks before but really want to start this fall when it cools off some.

Any help would be SUPER! [​IMG]

2. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    The Hovabators are pretty respectable and loads of folk on here really like them. I've not used them myself, so I'm just reporting what I've read...

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Totally go with the Hovabator. You should also install a simple and cheap computer fan into the lid to help keep internal temp consistent and eliminate thermal layering. Stay as far aay as possible from the Little Giant (with or without a fan). Happy hatching!

4. Peeper

Peeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    Little Rock, AR
    Quote:What's going on with the little giant?

5. mrkpero

mrkpero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    I just bought a Brinsea mini advance incubator directly from Brinsea for $128. It was on sale and saved an extra 10 percent when i joined their facebook page. It does only hold 7 eggs though, which may not be what you're looking for? I haven't used it yet, as I just got it this afternoon.

6. dragontamer56

dragontamer56 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    I have that same incubator kit and it has worked well. I got it off ebay for 70. I have hatched out about 20 cchicks so far. Its full right now with all kinds of eggs, quail, turkey, a couple different chicken breeds. I would go with it because personally for $100 a hovabator is the best bet.

7. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

I would spend a little more an get the one with a fan in it or wire my own fan but other than that its a great incubator.

Peeper, the LG has a cheep electronic thermostat that is very touchy to set an has a very high failure rate. The Hova-bator still uses a old school wafer thermostat that has been proven in incubators sense before electricity.

8. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    Quote:how would an incubator work without electricity?

9. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Quote:[​IMG]

10. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    When I was shopping for GQF incubators www.gqfmfg.com had the best prices. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by