incubator got me again!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ozark hen, Aug 7, 2009.

1. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I had my incubator boxed up and put away and I don't know what happened but I got it back out again!! I put two dozen of my eggs in it and after candling on day 10 I tossed eleven eggs as being not fertile or blood rings. Yesterday, out of the thirteen left, four hatched [​IMG] Now I know why I drug out my incubator again [​IMG]
    They seem to be all blue chicks with buff faces. My main roo is blue and most of my hens are buff but do have a few b/b/s in the flock of orpingtons. I do have a couple buff roos so who knows what the combination was?
    I see one more pipping now.
    Two have dark orangy faces and two have light faces, it will be interesting to see them feathered out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Songster

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    too cute. Thanks for sharing the pics [​IMG]

3. chaoschicken

chaoschicken Cackleberry Crazy

Jun 23, 2009
    Washington State
    Grats on the new babies.

They are so cute and I can't wait to see what they look like when they grow up.

4. Kelso

Kelso Songster

Aug 6, 2009
    Awesome. They look great, thanks for the pics.

5. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    Interesting!

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Darn incubators, don't you hate it when they sneak out and set on eggs when you aren't looking?? [​IMG]

I have some bantam chicks that look similar to that when they hatch, but most of them are golden sebright mixes [​IMG] Very pretty babies! [​IMG]

7. dave3877

dave3877 Songster

Sep 16, 2007
    crockett, texas
    im a hatch addict so i cant put mine away. i tried once. it was the worst 15 minutes of my life lol. now the hard part is finding eggs to fill them. i love my birds but this is like drugs. you hatch that first one and you keep trying to relive that 1st one but none quite match so you look for different varieties hoping to get some relief. dang chickens are my crack lol

8. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    Quote:LOL! Dang incubators are worse than silkies to go broody! [​IMG]

9. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Songster

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I wish the bator had a "self-cleaning" cycle. It is hard to find time to properly clean it between eggs, I just keep ordering more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: