incubator got up to 106, now what

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ntsorvas, Dec 7, 2012.

1. ntsorvas

ntsorvas Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2012
    incubator ran for 2 days at stable 101, put eggs in at 8am, four hours later wife calls and tells me temp is at 106 with probe on the eggs, will they survive?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    How long were they at the higher temp? It takes awhile for the core temperature of the egg to raise/drop, but if they were exposed to those temperatures for too long I'd suggest toss them, tune your incubator and try again.
    Too high temps or heat spikes early on in the incubation effects the chicks eye development and at later stages causes foot and leg problems. If it doesn't kill them.

Good luck!

3. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    If it was brief i wouldnt effect them to much but if it was for a long time there isnt alot of hope , that being said I beleave in miricles so I would give them a few days and then candle and see what is going on in them.

4. ntsorvas

Dec 5, 2012
    I set them at 8am and left for work, my wife called at noon and said it was at 106, so no more than 4 hours, i had her open the box for a few minutes to lower the temp and and had her turn the dial down a smidge, temp has been at 100 for last 4 hours now

5. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I have had temperature spikes like that and as long as it hasn't been too long, they should be okay. Just keep it around 99.5-100 and they should be fine.

6. ntsorvas

Dec 5, 2012
    I'm crossing my fingers, I'll prob candle them Sunday and see, I candled after they sat for about 16 hours from shipping and I don't think I saw a air bubble,but then again I'm not really sure what to look for, looked like a bunch of specks inside

7. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I also believe in miracles like Gabrielle says.... here is a good read on viability and temps psss... ignore the title its a good read http://www.brinsea.com/customerservice/poweroff.html I have ton of incubating info like that link saved in my notes in an ARticle... lotsa links pics and videos https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

good luck and would love to see your day 7 candle pics! lots

8. ntsorvas

Dec 5, 2012
    Thanks for all the help, I post status and hopefully pics of their progress

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hopefully they'll be O.K. still [​IMG]

10. ntsorvas