~ Incubator Hard-wiring *Please Help* ~

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TommyVT05, Feb 28, 2008.

1. TommyVT05

TommyVT05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    Hello,

Have anyone here built their own incubator or have hard-wired a fan to an existing incubator?

My plan:
    Buy the 1602N Hovabotor w/ Egg turner for $92 Brand New shipped and just hardwire 1 or 2 Computer fans on the inside. I think this is better than getting the 1583 w/ the turner for $142 shipped on Cutlers Supply.

Will save me $50!!! just by designing my own fan. Thats the only major difference between the two anyway.

Computer fan runs on 12V but the input of the Incubator's elec. system is 110V. How can I hardwire the 12V Fans to the original power supply (110V) without damaging anything?

I thought of using a CPU's power supply before but then again, thats a HUGE thing and burden to tag along with the incubator so I rather not use that method.

Thanks!

- Tommy

2. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I bought a 12v adapter at radio shack and wired it to that and it plugs in by it's self. Or thats how I did it. That way I can unplug to turn it off if I don't want to use it. Or switch it to another bator.

3. TommyVT05

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    Oh really?

So, can you please guide me on to where you connect things? That'll be awsome!

How much does the adoptor cost by the way?

- Tommy

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Walmart has the adapter I use for $12.

5. TommyVT05

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    Thats cool. So ask them I need an adator for a 12V fan? Haha. The fan use the 4-pin molex....I never thought they made adaptors for that. Haha

- Tommy

6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    The fan I got from a computer power supply uses only 2 wires, don't know how you'd wire a 4 terminal.

7. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:Just cut the wires and splice them. You need a 12 volt DC power supply. (The wall wart things) A 9volt volt would work but the fan would turn a little slower so a little less airflow. I never buy these adaptors because they come with most electronics and usually outlast what they came with.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  8. hart31

hart31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2008
    Bowbells, ND
    If you don't have an adapter check your local salvation army, goodwill store, or other 2nd hand store. They usually have boxes full of the things for 50 cnets to a dollar. They won't have the correct end for your fan. Just cut the wires and splice them together. Try them one way and then reverse them if the fan doesn't work. Some fans will operate backwards with reverse polarity, some won't.

9. TommyVT05

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    What is the "wall wart things"?

Well, is there an easier way to hardwire the fan without the adaptor and such? I mean...like make a resistor or something? Haha.

I wanna spend like less than $10 to add the fan. [​IMG]

- Tommy

10. TommyVT05

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by