Incubator has smell of rotted eggs...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ctsanders1, Dec 4, 2010.

1. ctsanders1

ctsanders1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2010
    So I placed a shipment of coturnix eggs in my incubator and they are due on the 12th....

Well, this morning I noticed a fairly strong smell above the top of the incubator like rotten eggs....

No power failure, etc... anyone know why this is?

Temp has remained at around 99.5

2. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    very carfully open bater and sniff out the bad egg then with a baggie over it pull it out. when they rot they have the potential to explode and ruin the others. it happens sometimes. Must be a small fracture somewhere.

Good Luck!

ETA- often they get "leaky" a yellow substance coming from the pores of the egg. that will be the bad one, but they dont always leak. its hard to figure out when the eggs are small like that.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  3. ctsanders1

Oct 19, 2010
    Quote:Thanks for the information. Bleek. I hope it's not extremely potent when I open it. There are 100 eggs in there so it's probably not going to be easy to find the culprit.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Get a flashlight before you touch any of the eggs. VISUALLY inspect all of them before you touch one.
    Put your nose down close with out touching any. You'll figure out the general area.

Most of the time you'll see which one it is.

Get the baggy and CAREFULLY lift it out. I'd probably put a flat screwdriver or something softer under or to the side of it to help you get it out if it's in a turner.

Pray it doesn't explode while extracting it.

If you get it in the baggy mostly intact, congrats, if not, it will most likely ruin most of your hatch. Just sayin'....

5. ctsanders1

Oct 19, 2010
    FOUND IT! Man that was a horrrrrrrible stench. I sniffed out the eggs that smelled the worst, picked up four of them and boom... 4th one was the rotten egg haha.

6. ctsanders1

Oct 19, 2010
    Quote:I guess I shouldn't have said "boom". Nothing exploded. And I'm thankful for that because I didn't have a bag. I just gently lifted from the bottom side of the turner tray and then got it out and into the trash quickly.

7. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    good job [​IMG] they sure get [​IMG] fast!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by