1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubator hatched growing faster, more feathers...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicken_Pauper, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    I'm curious if anyone else has had experience in the area of having eggs split between a broody hen and the incubator. They both hatched within a couple of days of each other, the broody a day or two before. What is odd is that the incubator / bathtub chicks are larger, have more feathers, are more mature.... just seem "older" than the ones walking around with their mother.
    Odd or normal? (three weeks old now)
    Thank you.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I would suspect that the incubator/tub chicks are growing faster because they are getting a starter feed that is complete as well as water close by.
    Chicks with the hen will be eating whatever the hen finds for them and wait till she leads them to water.

3. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    Thank you... that was the only thing I could think of... just wondered if there was anything else. I appreciate it.
    Take care.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've always had the opposite. Broody hen chicks are hardier, feather out way faster, and generally better flock members. I don't know why your experience is different, unless she's just not a good momma.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by