incubator & hatcher???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KatyTheChickenLady, Mar 30, 2009.

1. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Everyone here is so much help, thanks for answering all my questions . . . I have another though![​IMG]

Got my first eggs - goin good now in my brand new Genisis 1588, glad I spent the money (I bought a batch of feed store chicks raised then to 6 weeks and sold them to pay for incubator and eggs:cool:)

NOW, I have been noticing on here lately that people keep mentioning the need for an incubator and another one for hatching??? Do I need to buy two??? What are the drawbacks if I just have one???[​IMG]

2. old mill poultry

old mill poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    You can use the same one . Some people like to have two because they may have two hatches going on at the same time with differerent hatch dates. I have two incubatators but ususally just let them hatch in whatever one they started with, I don't like to mess with them too much.

3. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    Quote:you can only hatch one incubator full - 42 eggs at a time.

many people have more than one so at day 18...they can move the eggs that are ready over into the hatcher where the humidity is higher and keep the incubator running with a new set of eggs or for a staggered hatch. A staggered hatch may have 10 due on Monday, 7 due on Thursday, 20 due on Sat., etc.

4. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Got it, thanks for the input!
    katy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by