Incubator/hatching/broody questions (lots)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cherub78, Feb 23, 2009.

1. cherub78

cherub78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Central NY
    First, my chickens are almost 8 mth old, and my ducks are abt 9 1/2 mth old (important to know for some of the questions).

Has anyone tried to do both chicken and duck eggs at the same time (and had success)? I read that this cannot be done due to the humidity change when the chicks hatch. Am I going to need to buy another incubator/turner/thermometer-hygrometer to hatch both?

What is the earliest age a chicken gets broody? Mine will set on eggs and not let me near them, but then later get off the nest and say the heck with it.

And while I'm at it, at what age does a rooster (or drake duck) get fertile (they are definately "doing it" with my girlies, but are they fertile enough to make "young 'uns")?

If I have any success incubating, and wait until the chicks are say 2 mths old, how hard will it be to integrate them into the rest of the flock without anyone going ape nuts and hurting each other?

What abt baby ducks- how old to move in with the others and how can I make everyone "just get along"?

And on the same subject, can baby ducks and baby chicks be in a brooder together until they are put in with the "big 'uns"?

Thanks and hope someone can provide some answers- I am a hatching virgin. [​IMG]

Sharon

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Quote:

3. cherub78

cherub78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Central NY
    Thank you for helping. After thinking about it (and "accidently" buying goose eggs on ebay) I ended up getting a 2nd incubator. Mainly because I can't start the duck early enough since I started collecting duck and chicken eggs at the same time and need to wait for the goose eggs to get here and settle down from shipping.

So, when they arrive, I am going to let them settle a while, then let the duck and chicken eggs get to room temp, then in they all go.

I did something incredibly stupid (referring to the above mentioned "accident"). I have never hatched anything before, and besides the fact that I went and bought 2 incubators, 2 dig. therm/hygro, and one egg turner, I also bought extremely expensive goose eggs. I SO hope my hubbie doesn't start frequenting the BYC forums. It was one of those "impulse" buys- like new shoes...but not.

They are such pretty geese, and I really, really wanted some.

Everyone start crossing your fingers for me that at least 2 of them hatch, and that those 2 are a male and female, so I can recoop (no pun intended) some of my money!

Sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by