Incubator Heat Source

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by alogue5173, Sep 27, 2012.

1. alogue5173

alogue5173 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2012
    Harrison, Georgia
    I am planning on building an incubator in the future and was discussing the heat source, thermostats and timers with my husband. He asked me "why don't you just use one of those really small ceramic heaters for the heat source?...they already have a thermostat mechanism" This may be a stupid question...but could I use one? They have some that are about 4" tall at walmart for $12.94. I know I may have to play with it a lot to get temp right and may have to use a timer...but Could I use this? Any advice or opinions?

2. mnferalkitty

mnferalkitty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Minnesota
    Hmmm good question. Can't wait to see what others say.

3. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    They do come off and on but don't really have a thermostat that would be good for incubating.

4. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    I have two incubators that I made with 1 hot water heater thermostat from Lowes for $8 and some change and 1 with a wafer thermostat from ebay for 14. I use two 40 Watt bulbs in each for the heat source. One bulb will do the job, I just put two in case one blows. And 9 to 12 volt computer fans, $3, for air circulation. I used some old plastic igloo coolers that I had laying around.

5. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    You would have to check and see if the ceramic heaters has a thermostat that will keep you temp regulated at around 100 degrees. I haven't seen on that small that has a thermostat .

6. alogue5173

alogue5173 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2012
    Harrison, Georgia
    Thanks everyone for the good advice :)

7. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    does a fish tank heater have to be in water or not? The reason I ask is that we have a ninety gallon fish tank that came with a 200W heater and set on low it gets the water too hot. I have thoughts of using it an my incubator.

8. kmsek

kmsek Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2011
    N Fla
    I have a styrofoam cooler water heater thermostat 40 watt bulb 3 volt computer fan have hatched 40 + chickens 100 quail changed fan twice bulbs 1 great incu rates..........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by