Incubator Heater

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by outdoorpodcast, Dec 31, 2012.

1. outdoorpodcast

outdoorpodcast Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2012
  2. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Sorry I am no help. You are ambitious to build your own. Good luck & Happy New Year!

3. Hawgon

Hawgon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    I used a Incu-kit from Incubator Warehouse and love it...Havent tried others so can't help you there but you are on the right website to get info. Happy New Year and best of luck.....

4. aka Rachel

aka Rachel Chillin' With My Peeps

From the very brief description and comments about the product from your link, it seems as it may not get up to the required temperature. And you will have to purchase a temp. guage to go with it.

I am looking at purchasing an incu kit from incubator warehouse. I have built two cooler bators in the past, heated with light bulbs and I am not satisfied with the head distribution even with multiple fans.

Ps. a small incu kit is about the same as your cable plus thermostat!

5. gg706

gg706 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    I just went to their website. The kits are a little expensive. But then all I would need is a pan of water in front of the fan? And a couple of thermometers and a hygrometer? Is that it? Does the small one work for a medium size cooler? Anyone have any advice on purchasing the kit versus buying the parts and using the light bulb method? Was your hatch rate better?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  6. Hawgon

Aug 22, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    I think the small would work for a cooler. I bought the 225 watt kit for a minifridge and it works awesome but I may have been able to get by with the smaller one. As of right now I dont have an auxillary fan in mine and just use the fan that is part of the heater assy and have had great hatches with RIR's, Silkies and Seramas. I do have another fan but have not put it in yet and may not. Temp and humidity are your friend and your enemy and the better you can control and monitor them the better your hatches will be. I have 4 different thermometers in mine and 2 different hydrometers in different areas to monitor it. Good luck

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  7. gg706

Jul 5, 2011
    Thank You for the info! Hatching is exciting and intimidating at the same time! Can't wait to try it though. I think I am going to build my incubator and then hatch out a few eggs from my Araucana roo and Wyandotte hens to get the hang of it before I purchase some expensive breeder eggs to ship in.

8. Hawgon

Aug 22, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. gg706

Jul 5, 2011
    Wow! That is awesome! I am assuming your hatch rate is pretty good. Do you hatch out shipped eggs or your own eggs?

10. Hawgon

Aug 22, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    Thank you.....Friends eggs before but will start in the spring with my own Silkie and Serama eggs. I just put 10 eggs in my Brinsea to check fertility....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by