incubator heating correctly??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by beverly evans, Nov 12, 2013.

1. beverly evans

beverly evans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Help, to anyone "bator" savy.!! This is my first full (24 eggs) incubator, (a reptile incubator to be exact). I have it set at 99 degrees. I just set it up yesterday. I've moved the eggs twice (no automatic rolling) and they don't feel that warm. When ever I pick up a just laid egg or even a bit later it still feels much warmer than these in the bator. The tiny thermometer I stuck on the back wall reads 1-2 degrees hotter than the setting so I backed off a degree. I'm thinking that when I turn them I should change from front to back or even from first to second shelf. It would mean turning more often since sometime I would be putting them back on the same side by accident. : ( THX

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I’m not familiar with reptile incubators. If it has a fan it doesn’t matter, but if it is a still air (no fan) where you take the temperature is important. Hot air rises. Try checking the temperature up high and down los to see how much difference it can make. In a still air, the temperature should be 101.5 degrees F at the top of the eggs. It’s not fatal if you are off a little bit, they’ll just hatch early or late, but you need to do the best you reasonably can.

Have you calibrated that thermometer? They can be off quite a bit due to manufacturing tolerances.

Calibrate a Thermometer
    http://www.allfoodbusiness.com/calibrating_thermometers.php

Rebel’s Thermometer Calibration
    http://cmfarm.us/ThermometerCalibration.html

Rebel’s Hygrometer Calibration
    http://cmfarm.us/HygrometerCalibration.html

As for turning, put an x on one side and an on the other. When you turn them, make sure all x’s or o’s are facing up. Takes the guesswork out.

3. beverly evans

Jul 18, 2013
    Thanks. It does have a fan. I just wonder if it would be better if I rotate their places...from one shelf to the next.

4. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    What works well, if you have room, you can put them in an egg carton with the bottoms cut out (bottom ventilation).

Use something small (I cut up another egg carton and used the cardboard) to prop the carton up on one side. This way you can have a 45 degree angle left, right, and center (flat).

then write down which way you last turned it, always turn it an un-even # of times (3 or 5) per day so that the eggs don't sleep on the same side 2 nights in a row.

make sure you have 2 or 3 thermometers and 2 or 3 hygrometers, they can be very wrong!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  5. beverly evans

Jul 18, 2013
    Thanks Viola, I calibrated my thermometer and the humidity monitor and have put "X's" and "O's" on the eggs so think I am set. I like the idea of the egg carton and will use it with a bigger incubator. It wouldn't work with this one ...too small. : )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by