Incubator Help! Day 21!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ebenavides5, Oct 13, 2011.

1. ebenavides5

ebenavides5 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2011
    I purchased 15 silkie chicken eggs online and I decided to make a homeade incubator. I had it set three days before the chicken eggs arrived. The temperature was at 100 and the humidity at 55, when they arrived I put them in, the second day I was candeling them and I noticed nothing was happening. When I woke up the next day I noticed my temperature had dropped to 95 and the humidity was at 65% I thought they were all dead but I did not loose hope and decided to go purchase a real incubator. As soon as my bought incubator reached 99.5 f and 55% in humidity I decided to put them in eventhough I thought they were dead. The next morning I candled them and I noticed that on six of them there were heart beats. I kept the other ones for a few days more but they weren't developing so I disposed of them. I put them on the 23 of September it is now the 13 of October, when will they hatch? I have the temperature at 99.5 and the humidity at 70% should I higher the temp? I candled them three days ago when I stopped turning them and they were all black with veins and an air sac. HELP! [​IMG]

2. big red chicken

big red chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Greenville NC
    don't give up just yet....give the eggs a little more time.

3. ~goingcluckcrazy~

~goingcluckcrazy~ Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2011
    Don't stress. Because of the lower temperature they may be a day late. Hopefully You will see a pip today or tommorow. Make sure you keep the humidity up.

4. ebenavides5

Oct 13, 2011
    Thank you so much! [​IMG]

5. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

~goingcluckcrazy~ :

Don't stress. Because of the lower temperature they may be a day late. Hopefully You will see a pip today or tommorow. Make sure you keep the humidity up.

X2​

6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    x3

[​IMG]

7. naakte

naakte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri
    OH My goodness you have just mirrored exactly what i did. I made a bator with a fan, light ect. I didnt like the fluctuations so 2 days AFTER i put the eggs in,I ran to the feed store and bought a LG and attached my fan to it. Then the tornados hit and we evacuated to my daughters house in a nearby city. I wrapped the bator in blankets for the trip and plugged it in as soon as I could, but was worried because the temp had dropped into the 80s. I just knew none would hatch, and these were my first eggs I had bought to incubate!!!
    so these eggs went thru

being shipped from south carolina

spending the weekend at the post office [​IMG] ( I was freaked)

a home made bator disaster

a bad temp drop from the evacuation

of the10 eggs I set
    one was infertile
    I dropped one and broke the shell (cried for hours)
    6 hatched into beautiful serama chickens [​IMG]

I hope yours hatch for you as well

I highly recommend Lisa from south carolina. She did an amazing job wrapping each egg, high fert rate, she helped me when i panicked over the weekend the eggs were stuck at the PO. she really does care. If you want her BYC name message me.

8. ebenavides5

Oct 13, 2011
    Three of my silkie chicks have just started pipping! [​IMG] I hope the rest do good also. I was so worried they wouldn't make it, but 6 out of 15 did. I'm thinking on ordering some Polish Frizzle chicken eggs. Anybody know where to get some? [​IMG] Thank you so much!!!

9. naakte

naakte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri
    I want to see pictures of the fuzzy butts

10. Jay-Mar28

Jay-Mar28 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    Ontario Canada
    Its funny with my incubator i kept track of how many egg turns per day and exactly how long i had the eggs and hatch date.. 2 days before hatch date 2 chicks hatched, one completely healthy the other has curled toes and his hips seem misplaced so i put the thermometer back in and the incubator was at 85', i cranked it up to 100' and last night and today ive had 9 more chicks hatch successful, 2 more eggs are hatching as im typing lol but also had another hatch and die with a deformed beak and another who made a peep hole but wasnt able to break out and died over night(fully developed). Ive never had any luck with this incubator and the temperatcher change just frusterates me more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by