Incubator Help Needed

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rose66, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Rose66

Rose66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Alabama
    I have a 1588 incubator and I plugged it in two days ago for the first time this year. I bought it last year (2012) and ran it four or five times with very sucessful hatches last year and it worked perfectly. I plugged it in yesterday and have decided that I don't think it is heating properly. There is no noise coming from the incubator except from the turner. I think i remember last year that it produced a low hum when it was plugged in. Anyone who has a newer 1588, please tell me if you "hear" any noise when it is running. The digital readout is reading perfectly and according to it, the temp and humidity fluctuates slightly within normal and the heating light goes on/off like normal, but if you stick your hand in the incubator, it does not feel much warmer than the room air. I just put in a separate thermometer to see what that reads. Any help on the noise question will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. red golden

red golden Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2012
    roxboro nc
    I would think the only thing to make noise is the fan. If you open it and the air feels normal sounds like it isn't heating. Is the fan coming on and can you feel heat coming from the heating element.

3. Rose66

Rose66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Alabama
    Thanks for responding. I wiggled the wires to the fan and it came on and is running fine. However the temperature still does not feel hot enough. The built in thermometer on the incubator is reading correctly and I have an external thermometer in it that reads the exact same but when I put my hand in the incubator it does not feel much warmer than room temperature. Is there any other way i can test the temp in the incubator?

4. red golden

red golden Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2012
    roxboro nc
    You can try putting a cup of water or a baby jar of water in it. Run it for a day and use a human or meat ( digital ) thermometer to test the water. If it reads 99.5 or same as your others then you should be fine. I think why it doesn't feel warm enough your feeling for humidity which makes it feel warmer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by