INCUBATOR HELP!!!!!!!

Andrewdp123

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 7, 2012
NEED HELP!!!! I'm doing everything i can to get these eggs to hatch...They are getting very developed, (feet, beaks, feathers, the works) and they just arent eating their yolk and trying to get out...Any advice???

2 days over...temp is at a steady 99.5...but i think the humidity is the problem...the thermometer didnt have a hygrometer so i ordered one off Ebay but it was from china so its going to be a while before it comes..Covered the windows so the light doesnt get to it opened the air hole so they could breathe...If it wasnt the humidity i couldnt imagine what else it could be.

Definitely no pro here, but everything I've read says to pay great attention to heat/humidity, especially during lockdown. Very hard to do without a temp/humidity gauge... We've got a digital one that says both, and makes it really easy to read, and adjust conditions inside the bator.

If you're opening vent holes, it makes the humidity go waaaay down in our experience! And it needs to be high during the last few days. Id say try and add more water, and close the vent holes if you think the humidity is too low.

Hope this helps, good luck!

-Josh and Danielle

I have two incubators one for the first days, and one with extra humidity and no turner for the last three days...I had no luck the first batch so i thought i should bump up the humidity so i filled the divits in the incubator and added another dish of water...Now i think there was too much humidity and i have 3 due in 3 days so i filled the divits but took out the dish of water...I guess im just going to keep trying until i get my hygrometer...Thanks for all the help

Well, I wish I had a better answer for you. I try to keep my humidity around 50 for days 1-18. During lockdown I bump it up to about 65-70. I have had pretty luck with that. Mine is a homemade incubator.

What was the last day you candled the eggs? Where they developing?

Well, I wish I had a better answer for you. I try to keep my humidity around 50 for days 1-18. During lockdown I bump it up to about 65-70. I have had pretty luck with that. Mine is a homemade incubator.

What was the last day you candled the eggs? Where they developing?

Good question, candling the eggs would answer most of your questions about humidity, by the size of the airsac, right?

I have two incubators one for the first days, and one with extra humidity and no turner for the last three days...I had no luck the first batch so i thought i should bump up the humidity so i filled the divits in the incubator and added another dish of water...Now i think there was too much humidity and i have 3 due in 3 days so i filled the divits but took out the dish of water...I guess im just going to keep trying until i get my hygrometer...Thanks for all the help

I know I've seen that others have gotten humidity gages they use in bators at Walmart and pet stores. I didn't think they were cost all that much. It wouldn't hurt to have more than one when yours comes from China.

My assumption is that your thermometer is bad, your problem is most likely high temperature. I would calibrate my thermometer if I were you.

High temperature is usually what causes this problem, the chick develops too fast, and even pips before it is done absorbing it's yolk. It then usually sits there and gets shrink-wrapped, because it can't move.

Thanks everyone...its all just trial and error right now until i get it right i guess.

Back
Top Bottom