Incubator help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenman5024, Jan 29, 2015.

1. chickenman5024

chickenman5024 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2014
    Texas
    Hi I have a stiro- foam incubator and I had a terrible hatch all the chicks except one needed help hatching most of the didn't dry and some didn't survive
    I remember one thing that I might have done
    Fill up the bottom tray of water to the top and suggestions

2. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    Your humidity was too high, more than likely. Were you using a hygrometer, or just winging it?

3. chickenman5024

chickenman5024 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2014
    Texas
    I was just putting water in

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I use a little giant (styrofoam) incubator. Mine has the fan kit installed and I use an egg turner.My last hatch I switched to the dry method and highly recommend it.
    My suggestions. 1) Always have at least 2 thermometers and a hygrometer in the bator. (I use three thermometers.) 2) Watch the hygrometer for an idea of what your humidity is, but monitor the egg's air cells to know how to regulate your humidity to what the eggs need. No matter what method you use for the first 17 days, make sure you get that humidity up there for lockdown/hatch. Recommended is at least 65%, I prefer 75% or higher. 3) Patience. Most people help too soon. After an egg pips it can take another 24 hours for it to hatch out. Make sure that assisting is truely needed. 4) If hand turning, make sure you turn as much as you can. At least 3x's but the more the better. Just make sure you are turning an odd number of times before stopping for the night.

That's all I can think of atm.

5. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    W/o monitoring by a hygrometer or monitoring the air cells, chances are, as scflock said, the humidity was probably too high. If your humidity is too high, your eggs don't loose enough moisture and teh air cells do not grow big enough. This will cause them to drown when it is time to hatch. If your humidity isn't high enough the air cells will grow too big and the chick can become shrink wrapped by the membrane. Proper temp and humidity, are very important for a good hatch.

6. traceyj

traceyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2014
    BC Canada
    Didn't dry? What's that please, when they come out of the shell soggy?

7. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Dry incubation method is not adding any water to the incubator the first 17 days (as long as the humidity stays at or above 25%) and monitoring the air cells to check size for appropriet growth. There are many pictorials on line as well as one on the Hatching 101 page here on BYC: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101 The egg pic will show how large the air cell should be at key days of developement. Then day 18 when you go into lockdown you up the humidity to at least 65% or MORE, open your vents/plugs if they aren't already open and don't open the bator unless you really have to until they hatch.

8. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    The only way to know exactly what is going on in the incubator is to measure it with a hygrometer. I highly recommend doing that, but I'm going to be realistic and assume you might not. If you don't, and are flying blind, here is what I would do. Don't fill up all of the water channels at first. That's way too much humidity. Only fill one or 2 for the first 18 days. When you go into lockdown, fill up all of the channels. That is the best advice I can give if you aren't going to measure, but I highly recommend you get at least one thermometer and hygrometer.

9. traceyj

traceyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2014
    BC Canada
    I picked up a hygrometer at Home Depot for $3, it may or not be reliable, but it's better than nothing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by