Incubator holding steady

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by littledel, Jul 7, 2010.

1. littledel

littledel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Russellville, Arkansas
    I have my small still air incubator up and going again for another try. This time I moved it to another area of the house that has less humidity and a more stable temperature. It has been holding very steady at about 101 degrees with a humidity from 35-45%. Does this sound like a workable combination. Last time the humidity stayed around 60% and only about a 3rd hatched because at lockdown the humidity rose to over 80%!!! So what think ye, is the 35-45% humidity ok, too low or too high. And at lockdown, do I need to add anymore water, or just let nature take its course. I add just a little squirt of water every 3-4 days through a vent hole on top of the bator that is covered the rest of the time.

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Just my opinion, but I would aim more for the 45% on the humidity and the temp seems just a tad high-I think it should be between 99-100 degrees.
    Are you hatching chicken eggs or something else?
    I'm sorry I forgot-at lockdown, I try to keep my humidity around 60%.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  3. littledel

littledel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Russellville, Arkansas
    I was told that on a still air bator the temp needs to be just a tad higher, so mine hovers between 100 and 101. I have guinea eggs that were put in first, then a week later chicken eggs. There are about 31 eggs all together that should hatch out at the same time now. I do not want to even open the bator for fear of messing something up. Everything seems to be rocking along nicely, but I have been wondering if the humidity was a little low.

4. burquechick

burquechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    I think it sounds fine, really making sure the temp doesn't go any higher though... I read the other day that the humidity isn't nearly as important as the temp. The article said it can be 15% off target either way and be totally fine. In fact, I live in the desert myself and rarely get anything over 35-45%. And I have a fan, which probably makes it worse. But the same article also said too high a temp can be totally lethal (102 for example), while too low a temp (98 even) can be totally fine. I would err on a lower temperature. I think as long as you're hovering between 100 and 101 you should be fine. But don't forget that the developing chicks will start to create their own heat and your temp will need to be lowered accordingly. I forgot to do this my last batch and, let me tell ya, it wasn't good. I got only 1 chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by