Incubator humidity and egg position

I did not know that!!!!! Do you know which is which???:eek::thumbsup:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:yesss::yesss:
I'm not actually sure. It's been a few while..

But other than google... I like http://www.metzerfarms.com/index.cfm So much really good and informative information on their site.

Glad I decided to share, instead of assuming because you had the breed that you already knew. I guess plus even if you did, someone else who comes along in the future might not have. :highfive:

I know Welsh Harlequin can usually be sexed by bill color at hatch, but i don't think I've ever heard that about Rouens.

That is an interesting incubator! Candling is done better from the air cell end, down thru the air cell, but the lights below should still show fertility and growth.

One more question though, did you get independent meters, thermometer/hygrometer and test them first? I wouldn't trust the meters on any incubator straight out of the box.

I know Welsh Harlequin can usually be sexed by bill color at hatch, but i don't think I've ever heard that about Rouens.

That is an interesting incubator! Candling is done better from the air cell end, down thru the air cell, but the lights below should still show fertility and growth.

One more question though, did you get independent meters, thermometer/hygrometer and test them first? I wouldn't trust the meters on any incubator straight out of the box.
I did not think about testing them so I will. I will put a thermometer in it to see what it reads. I will have to look up how to test the humidity since I have already started incubating the eggs.

Pointy end down. The humidity sounds too high if you’re before lockdown but the important thing is that your eggs lose about 13% of their weight around the time of lockdown. I achieve this by using incubating about 5%RH higher than the manufacturer recommends but everyone’s incubators and climates differ a bit. I use an excel spreadsheet to create a graph from weights I record every 3-4 days and plot it against the ideal weight loss line. There are lots of resources online. Good luck.

Pointy end down. The humidity sounds too high if you’re before lockdown but the important thing is that your eggs lose about 13% of their weight around the time of lockdown. I achieve this by using incubating about 5%RH higher than the manufacturer recommends but everyone’s incubators and climates differ a bit. I use an excel spreadsheet to create a graph from weights I record every 3-4 days and plot it against the ideal weight loss line. There are lots of resources online. Good luck.
Sorry I just realised you’re hatching duck eggs which I’m not so familiar with in regards to humidity and ideal weight loss but same principles apply.

I just checked the temperature with a thermometer that we had at home at it is reading correct.

Back
Top Bottom