1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubator Humidity for French Black Copper Marans Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by valleyhoneybee, Mar 4, 2015.

1. valleyhoneybee

valleyhoneybee Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2015
    New Hampshire
    It was mentioned to me by someone with experience hatching French Black Copper Marans eggs in an incubator that FBCM eggs required a slightly higher humidity level do to the thickness of the shell. Any suggestions as to what the best humidity level for FBCM eggs in an incubator?

(I have a hen setting on 10 eggs but only 1 of 20 successfully hatched in my last "under the hen" attempt (the eggs were mailed to me, which could have been the problem). I have another batch of eggs from a different FBCM line and am "out of Broody Hens! LOL! So, this will be my first FBCM incubator hatching attempt.)

Thanks

2. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    Mine hatch great with "dry incubation". I try to keep the RH between 20 and 30%. During lockdown I aim for 80% or higher, but it often goes down to 65% during lockdown. All the eggs, including Welsummers, BBS Ameraucanas, Legbars and Barred Hollands get the same treatment, and all hatch well.

I have noticed that the dark eggs (Welsummers too) hatch a day after the light colored (CCL and BH) eggs. No idea why, it had me concerned the first few times, I thought they weren't gonna hatch, now I just try to be more patient.

2 people like this.
  3. valleyhoneybee

Feb 16, 2015
    New Hampshire
    Thank you for the information!

4. littlesparrow11

littlesparrow11 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2015
    Vermont
    Hey valleyhoneybee, do you sell any of your marans chicks? [​IMG]

5. valleyhoneybee

Feb 16, 2015
    New Hampshire
    I actually had not thought about it! LOL! I would be willing to. I have a pullet that is about 2 months old and the chicks that just hatched last week. I am not sure about shipping them (I have never sold any before and the French Black Copper Marans are certainly not plentiful around here!)!). I am in Plymouth New Hampshire. I am also getting 12 Marans eggs sometime this week that am going to incubator hatch. How many and what age are you looking for?
    Melissa

6. kissnpeeps

kissnpeeps Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2015
    My husband said that one of the long time hatchers he talks to said he sprays his eggs down with warm water from a spay bottle when he opens his hatcher,has anyone out there ever tried this[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  7. kissnpeeps

Feb 22, 2015
    I have only been hatching about a month or so,I am already addicted and want to keep all of my babies [​IMG]and I have about 98% hatch rate [​IMG]this is due to a great incubator and hatcher my hunny bought me!!! But I haven't had a great deal of luck on my black copper eggs yet.

8. valleyhoneybee

Feb 16, 2015
    New Hampshire
    As a new "hatcher" of French Black Copper Marans I have talked with A LOT of people with FBCM. I had difficulty getting the eggs to hatch at first as well. What i have learned (& please remember I am NEW at FBCM hatching) is the eggs require slightly more humidity to hatch due to a slightly thicker membrane and shell (which, I am told, keeps more bacteria out of the egg than other types of chicken eggs). BUT, a word of caution, don't get too humidity happy or the chick will drown while attempting to hatch.

1 person likes this.
  9. kissnpeeps

Feb 22, 2015
    If the warm mist from spraying works I will let you know[​IMG]

10. kissnpeeps

Feb 22, 2015
    We have started a pretty good flock of Marans and I want to hatch a lot of FBC eggs [​IMG]they are such friendly little babies

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by