Incubator Humidity HELP!!! First Timer

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by karaokechick, Oct 25, 2010.

1. karaokechick

karaokechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    Naples, Florida
    OK justreplaced my hydrometer and my humidity has been 99% not the 50% the old onne registered. Have I ruined these eggs?
    I have a set due to hatch Friday and another bunch due to hatch on Monday ...I am so worried I killed these eggs! [​IMG]

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    The best way to tell how the eggs are doing is to look at the size of the air cell. The eggs need to loose about 14 % of their original wiegh and the air cell should take up nearly 1/3 of the egg by the time they are ready to hatch. I do have a link to a picture of what air cells should look like that might help.. I will go look for it as I am at work and have the link on my home computer.

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
  4. karaokechick

Oct 25, 2010
    Naples, Florida
    My air cells are like day 14 ..It's not looking so good for this Hatch. Thank You everyone...I am gonna start looking for some fresh eggs again [​IMG]

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Give the ones you have a chance at least...You never know...Something could still hatch... And remember thats day 14 for chickens.. You have duck eggs..Its worth leaving them just those few more days to see how things go.

6. karaokechick

Oct 25, 2010
    Naples, Florida
    I will most definatley keep them going, and give them a chance.
    I know I'm not going to get the hatch rate I was hoping for so I will try again and order new eggs now and have them shipped for next week.
    Thank You Again EVERYONE!!!

7. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

The reason why you use lower humidity in the first part of the incubation is so the air sack gets nice and large. You can still do a few things. One is lower the temperature by 1 degree and hope that this will prolong the incubation period enough to give the air sack time to get larger. You can also mist the eggs twice per day to force a dehydration. Another thing you can do it get an egg carton, discard the lid, cut off the bottom so air can freely circulate and have them lay in it on the side with the air sack pointing up. Not on the tip standing but in an angle. I think this will give them the best chances for a good outcome.

8. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Duckyfromoz already gave you some great advice on the air cells. I just wanted to add that I seriously doubt your relative humidity is really 99% (although I suppose it's possible). I would be more inclined to think something is wrong with your new hygrometer. They are notoriously inaccurate, even the expensive ones. I would calibrate it. You can find the instructions for doing that online or in the incubating section. I would be more inclined to believe your original one that said 50% is more accurate. I just checked one website really fast and it said the relative humidity in Naples, FL is currently 59%. Granted, the humidity in the incubator may be different, but you can use that as a very loose guide.

I can't believe you are really at 99% unless you have quite a large water surface area inside the incubator. In your environment, you may very well be able to do dry incubations, just adding water for hatch. Again though, the most important thing to monitor is air cell size and weight. The more you incubate, the easier it is to tell if you are on target or not. First, find out for sure what your correct relative humidity is. Second, empty the incubator of water if the air cells are not getting large enough. Third, if they are significantly too small, also spray the eggs daily as Katharina suggests. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by