incubator humidity question!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LastChanceRanch, Oct 30, 2009.

1. LastChanceRanch

LastChanceRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Lapeer, Michigan
    help! I have eggs arriving shortly and have had my incubator up and running for a week now. The temperature is solid (confirmed by regular thermometer and a digital thermometer) but I can't seem to keep the humidity where it needs to be (I'm floating around 30% and I again have 2 readers a regular and digital). I have water and have tried adding more water but it has had no effect.

Any suggestions??

2. beverlyl

beverlyl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2009
    Morristown Arizona
    I read on the boards that you can put a sponge in the incubator to get the humidity up. I used a big sponge and put hot water in it.

3. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    Do you have a fan in you incubator?

Generally I can put my water closer to the fan to increase my humidity and futher from the fan to lower it.

Good Luck

[​IMG]

4. LastChanceRanch

Sep 9, 2009
    Lapeer, Michigan
    Thanks ya'll! I will try those things and see if it brings it up a bit. I'm super excited and want this to go well! [​IMG]

5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
  6. LastChanceRanch

Sep 9, 2009
    Lapeer, Michigan
    Thank you! That calibration link is awesome. I'm doing it tonight! [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Do you have one with a probe? If so, the probe doesn't measure humidity, only temp. So many folks use the AcuRite and have posted a similar dilemma. Come to find out, they had the unit outside the bator and didn't realize the body of the unit reads humidity, not the probe. That's why I asked.

8. cbiblis

cbiblis Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2009
    Murphy,NC
    Just a thought but by adding more water you do mean adding more surface area of water right? Cause just putting more water in the same bowl or pan won't do you a bit of good. The sponge does help. I also found that blowing the hot air, from the heater, over the rem of the container causes it to evaporate quicker. also if you have one add a fish air pump to the container with a air stone, and lastly and i'm just questing here. ( don't try this until someone says it's OK cause I've never tried it cause i never needed to do it.) adding salt to water forces quicker evaporation. Sort of like when you want to boil water quicker on the stove.

9. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    i cut up a sponge and added several pieces of sponge sopping with water and that seemed to help

10. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

An air pump only works if the pump its self is in the incubator. If it is outside it pumps cold air in to the water lowering the water temp an slowing evaporation.

Salt actually raises the boiling point making it take longer to boil. So adding salt would be a bad idea it should lower humidity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by