Incubator Humidity Trouble!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bthastalent, Apr 8, 2017.

1. bthastalent

bthastalent Just Hatched

Apr 8, 2017
    Hi
    I'm currently incubating 14 Indian Runner Duck Eggs at a temperature of 37.5 degrees centigrade. It is wetbulb. It is a very hot day and I would like the humidity to be around 55% but I can't get it to go below 60%. It is currently 63% and I'm very worried as I candled them last night and they were all doing great. I have taken water out and added water but it won't go below 60%. Please help me sort this problem out. I really don't want to lose my ducklings!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. bthastalent

bthastalent Just Hatched

Apr 8, 2017
    Do you have any advice on this?

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Have you double checked your hygrometer? If not it's always best to do this just incase it's giving you an incorrect reading. If it's reading correctly and it is still running high with no water in there you could try adding some dry rice to the incubator to dry and bring it down. Also do you have all your vents fully open? Are you in a naturally high humidity area?

Please do pop the incubating link that redsoxs left for you as there are lot of experienced hatchers in that section who can also advise you.

Good luck and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

5. bthastalent

bthastalent Just Hatched

Apr 8, 2017
    Thank you for your reply. I will buy a hygrometer so I can have 2 results. I will also try the rice as it's expected to be hotter tomorrow. Thank you.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sorry I have never incubated duck eggs. You could also ask on the "duck thread."

7. bthastalent

bthastalent Just Hatched

Apr 8, 2017
    Thank you.

8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under bthastalent [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry, I too have no incubator experience just hatches under a broody hen so I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by