Incubator ideas???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Littleturkey123, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Littleturkey123

Littleturkey123 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    Owen Sound, Canada
    Hi, my parents said that this spring i can get chickens(laying hens) and i am determined to hatch them from eggs, what are some good examples of incubators so that i can get a head start and have it running perfectly by the spring, and could i get your opinions and stories of experiences of this kind of thing? [​IMG]
    Thanks,
    L [​IMG]

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    For around $100 you can get a Hovabator still air and an automatic egg turner. I love mine and even still use one that's older than you! I advise you to avoid the Little Giant incubators, but their egg turners do fit the Hovabators. You will love doing this and you'll learn so much. Be sure to hatch early in the year, or even later winter, so your hens will be laying come late spring. Keep in mind most hens will start laying @ 5-6 months old. Some sooner, some later. I'm excited for you![​IMG]

3. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Nurse TUrtle is right-- avoid the LG if you can afford the more expensive incubator; you will be happier with the hatching results! The LG is difficult .From my own experience.[​IMG]

4. Wolftalk

Wolftalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    The Coop :)
    I dont know much about incubators... (becuase the eggs i rescued were hatched in a cardboard box with a desk lamp:) but i wish you luck on being a "mommy hen" its alot of work but so worth it. Just make sure you do all your homework, and read up about your breeds and stuff and you should be really sucessful! Having chicks is so much fun!

GOOD LUCK!!!!!![​IMG]

how many chickens do you want?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  5. Littleturkey123

Jul 11, 2011
    Owen Sound, Canada
    I was hoping for about 5-6 chicks in the end, not much but enough to keep my busy!! [​IMG] how many eggs should I order, and I was thinking about a homemade incubator for this hatch so them my parents don't have to pay much and I might be able to get some more later. And ideas without having to pay very much money so then I can stay on my parents good side lol [​IMG]

6. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    they're not homebrew, but the best prices i've found for hovabator is from LLL Reptile supply (they're in california).

I purchased the 1602 and 1582 at the same time, added fans to each (computer fans, wired with old cell phone chargers) and put a turner in the 1602.
    the 1582 is the picture window variety, I'll use for hatching the eggs.

so, even with the 2 incubators and used (ebay) turner, I still have less than $150 in them.

if you want to build (homebrew), the most expensive part is going to be the cabinet. I still recommend turner and fan for circulating the air or else you end up with hot spots.

If you would like to build it yourself, PM me and I could help walk you through the wiring parts...

there are tons of homebrew incubators on byc, i recommend browsing through them and reading up on what was done...

I am planning a 'bator build, but looking for just the right cabinet first... my plan is to put the brooder in the bottom and 'bator on the top part. but so far i'm still shopping for cabinets.

if you have a Habitat Re-Store, I recommend checking out what they've got as you might find a cabinet that will work for what you want to do. i tend to over-plan everything, but have just ... 8 days remaining until hatch. (lockdown the 18th) so... i better build my brooder soon LOL

7. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
  8. Littleturkey123

Jul 11, 2011
    Owen Sound, Canada
    What do you guys think is the best kind of home made incubator, I have seen that you can use aquariums, cabinets, or styrofoam. What would you reconmend and could you explain your reasoning behind this, I love to come on here and see what you guys have written to me [​IMG]
    Thanks,
    L [​IMG]

9. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    If you can find styrofoam, this is the easiest to cut and is very good insulation.

Think cooler--(1)if you are buying one, check the store quickly as they are getting moved off the shelves in favor of fall goods. (2)Some people order frozen meats via mail order, unpack the meats and toss the cooler. If you are a member of a group with adults, like a church, explain what you are are looking for. Someone may have one. (3) Can you ask your parents to ask their friends?

ANy of these possible??

10. Littleturkey123

Jul 11, 2011
    Owen Sound, Canada
    Those sound like great ideas!!!I will look them up [​IMG] I was also wondering how many eggs I should order if I want 5-6 chicks in the end? And Would a rubberish cooler (the hard kind) work because I think that I might have some around somewhere [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by