Incubator issues

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Colored Flock, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Colored Flock

Colored Flock Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2013
    My incubator is having a hard time staying at temp. I constantly have to turn it up! I am on day 3 of incubating my silkie eggs and im worried this isn't going to be successful with the fluctuation in temp. Any advice? its a hovabator.

2. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

4. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    Welcome! Glad you joined BYC! :~D

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! Have you double checked with another thermometer? It is possible that your thermometer is faulty so double check before you cook your eggs. (Which is exactly what I did when my thermometer was faulty)

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC!

1 person likes this.
  7. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Make sure you have it in a room with a stable base temp.
    Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve, :frow

8. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Jo I have gotten your message, but I will put my response here so we can perhaps help others with what is going on with your bator.

Besides the suggestions above.... can u tell me what kind of Inubator and type of heat it has? If it has wafers, sometimes they start to flux when the wafers are shot. You can purchase replacements and its easy fix. Also do u have a turner it it? styro bator? pics and as much info as you can give would be good too! There could be several variables, like location in room, drafts, where your putting thermometer in the bator, calibration, type of thermometer and so on. The low cost styro bators are EXTREMELY touchy with temps, you can make even the slightest change and you will head to look again and its a degree or two off again! They can get extremely frustrating, How do your silkie eggs look upon candle? What day are you on? I will assume you have started a new batch since this thread is fairly old now?

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    OP posted 24 days ago - eggs should have hatched by now if they were viable.

10. Colored Flock

Colored Flock Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2013
    One developed and from the entropy (haha) looks like little fella died about 4 days to hatching. My second round had 3 wigglers before lockdown and we are on day 21....nothin yet. But it started working great when I set it on a fuzzy blanket and covered it with another. Seems my house is too drafty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by