incubator location question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by patandchickens, Mar 29, 2009.

1. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm almost to the point of starting to 'run in' my homemade incubator to work on stabilizing it at the right temp and humidity.

It's made of a styrofoam-coated cabinet-style camper cooler, laid on its back so it is kind of like a large picnic cooler.

Which would be the better location (i.e. most likely to result in good hatching results):

1) upstairs, which is more or less around 70 F (ish) but varies from 66 to 75+ depending on the time of day (there just really isn't anywhere with a more stable temp in the main part of the house, the closets probably swing *worse*);

or

2) in the basement, which is a very constant 55 F (does not vary more than 2-3 degrees F, max), a bit on the humid side, and while it is basically clean it is not entirely devoid of mold/mildew spores.

Which is the better bet? I want to put it where it'll be for eventual use, b/c it may need a different size bulb or different adjustments depending on the location.

All opinions appreciated, and thanks in advance,

Pat

2. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Probably the upstairs, since it has more ventilation I think. And it's warmer. The basement is probably too chilly and damp, so I don't think that would work. I just have a feeling that a base ment isn't a good place for an incubator. [​IMG] But that's just my opinion.
    Good luck! [​IMG]

3. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Mine is in our basement and honestly, I have not adjusted the thermostat in my Homemade Incubator or Homamde Hathcer, since they started in December and January. The temperature is constant. With yours being 55, the question is can your heat source in your bator get the bator to the right temperature. And with the room temperature at 55, it will most likely run more often.

As for your air quality. That part, I am not sure of. I just know that when I had a fire in the wood stove, the room the bator was in was about 5 degrees warmer and the bator ran warmer during that time. I did not adjust because I knew the wood stove was only burning for a day. Once the stove was out, the room temperature went back to normal and the bator was again running great and steady.

Good luck!!

4. patandchickens

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks very much, both of you! [​IMG]

Since it seems to be a split vote, could I get some more opinions, please, anyone?

Thanks,

Pat

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I have always kept mine in the basement where the temps are steady. It's cool in my basement. We heat with a wood stove and don't run our furnace so there is no heating at all in the basement, but the incubators do just fine and I have no trouble with them holding steady temps. I vote for the basement.

6. patandchickens

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks Katy! Maybe I will try the basement. I put my (as-yet-uncalibrated and cheap) hygrometer in the basement at breakfast time and it currently reads 55% relative humidity, so that is not unreasonable.

Appreciate the help,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by