Incubator location?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PrinceSandwich, Jul 26, 2010.

1. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    I have my incubator in my bedroom at the moment, but my dad wants me to move it to our garage. The garage is heated, but we open and close the lardge doors and the temp isn't always steady. Does this affect the incubator and the hatch rate?

2. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Yes it does.My incubator is in my spare bathroom/lab.I have a homemade incubator and inside my lab is Growing:

Red worms
    Meal worms
    Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches

Also A brooder box for chicks.

If you want pics of my lab,just ask.[​IMG]

3. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    I wouldn't do it. The outside air temp plays a major role in maintaining steady temps inside the bator. If the temp outside is fluctuating constantly so will the temp in the bator.

4. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    Quote:yes please share your pic of your lab and how did u make your homemade incubator?

5. PrinceSandwich

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    Quote:I would love to see pictures of your lab! I've wanted hissing roachs for a long time! Can you ship me some?

6. PrinceSandwich

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    Quote:Ok, thanks!

7. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    I agree... I tried to incubate outside in our insulated shed. It houses our water heater so it stays pretty warm and I tought it would be a great spot. Turns out the temperature was all over the place and I had a horrible time with temperature spikes. I moved it into the house and magically my temperature woes were cured. Keep it inside if at all possible and tell your dad it's only for a couple weeks [​IMG]

8. PrinceSandwich

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    Quote:I'll tell him that, thanks!

9. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    sunflowerenvy and PrinceSandwich,

Here is my Lab/Bathroom where all the things start to grow on"The Funny Farm"

WELCOME TO MY INNER SANCTUM,MY SANCTUM SECLORUM.YOU ARE NOW ABOUT TO ENTER TO WHERE MY MOST VALUABLE ASSESTS ARE FOR OUR FARM:

[​IMG]

Welcome and step inside...

[​IMG]

This is my mealworm tower.Here is where I grow my mealworms,then they turn into pupae,then darkling beatles,mate,and then have eggs,then mealworms again.I spray down the paper towels daily.they are on a bed of mixed chicken feed and dry cat food for protein.

[​IMG]

Upclose to the darkling beatles and mealworms:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The best seat in the Lab [​IMG]
    On top of the toilet tank is my keeper for my pupae.They need alot of humidity.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is my redworm container.its a 7-1/2 gallon container filled mostly of composted plants.I have about 2000 or so redworms under it.they are working right now because I put some pinto beans in it so they can have something to do.as you can see the bean plants are comming out only after 2 days.I water the dirt daily.They are in my abandoned shower.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is my work station,where I have my hissing roaches,brooder box,incubator,and misc shelf all in one.I built it myself.I am not the best carpenter,but it works good for me.

[​IMG]

Brooder Box
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Its ready with brooder lamp,water and feeder,and lined with grip rite.

Incubator
    [​IMG]

Misc Shelf
    [​IMG]

Hissing roach container
    [​IMG]

The roaches are on that chicken feed/dry cat food diet as well.Their offspring became at least 50% bigger than the ones I bought from Flukers Farms.They drink water off a sponge,which I have to buy a new one for them tomorrow.Soon I will be the proud poppa of at least 300-600 new roach babies [​IMG]

Mt. Roach
    [​IMG]

Thats it of my Lab/Bathroom.I hope you enjoy.

10. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Are you a teacher? Cause you should be![​IMG]

The worms, the chicks, the meal worms I get, but what do you do with the cockroaches?

Awsome lab!

Mrs.K

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by