1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubator lockdown?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sarahbethk, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Sarahbethk

Sarahbethk Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2010
    ..What is that?

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
  3. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    The last three days of incubation the humidity level needs to rise. So on day 18 (chicken) you add water to the incubator to bump up the humidity from 40% to 60-65% and you do not open the incubator until they are done hatching. You stop turning the eggs as well. If the humidity drops it can ruin your hatch. The membrane will "shrink wrap" the chick inside the egg making it impossible for them to move to get out of the egg or breath at all. I hope I am explaining it well enough

4. Sarahbethk

Sarahbethk Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2010
    Thanks! That makes sense! So... what do I do when my chicks are all hatched?

5. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Once they all hatch and are a dried out you can take them out and put them in the brooder under a heat lamp. They can be in the incubator for 48 hours and be fine. I have even heard up to 72 hours. Because not all of the eggs will hat h at the same time. It could take a day or two. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by