incubator lost power

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tia, Apr 16, 2010.

1. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    Anyone have an incubator lose power and still get a hatch. We put the eggs in on Monday and yesterday (Thursday)in the late afternoon when I checked them at school everything was okay. This morning (Friday) I went in and the plug in on the wall had lost power, so the incubator was room temperature, so they had been off for a while. Room temp is about 70-72. I moved them and plugged them in to a different outlet, but don't know if they are okay. Anyone else had that happen? I was thinking I could at least leave them to day 7 and have a look.....

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I had a power outage during a nasty storm one night when it was 30 degrees out. The incubator got down to 60 degrees for about 6 hours and I still got a 50% hatch, so I would leave them at least for a little while and see what happens.

3. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    I have, but not for more than a few hours, and I was there when it happened and was able to put bottles of hot water on top of the bator and a blanket over them. The batch I have hatching now had power go out twice, and they are hatching fine. If they hatch they will probably be a day or 2 late, but give them a chance. [​IMG]

4. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I have picked up eggs out of the coop, freezing cold eggs and still had the baby survive. give them a few days and then check them. [​IMG]

5. tia

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    Thanks..... It would be nice if they still hatched. : )

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I once had three seperate power outages in a siingle incubation. Only two didnt hatch. I remember the first time it happened and the panic I was in. I felt so helpless knowing there wasnt anything I could do for hours on end. -But I have purchased a power inverter recently that can be hooked up to a car battery. It puts out 300 w So will keep the incubator going if the power cuts out.

7. I'mACountryGirl

I'mACountryGirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2010
    Elizabeth, Colorado
    I'm dealing with this problem this morning. I live in rural Colorado and we have just had a freak winter storm blow in and break everyone's heart - we are soooo ready for spring!

I have my first incubator going with my first 3 batches of eggs, mostly from BYC members, all started within the last 3 days. Power went out yesterday for about 2 hours and the temp dropped in bator, but only for a short while....then we lost power again last night at about 9:30 and didn't come back on until about 9:00 this morning - the temp in the bator dropped to at least 70, maybe lower and stayed there for several hours. As soon as the power went out, I wrapped the whole bator in a heavy blanket to slow down the heat loss...I didn't think to fill hot water bags or bottles to put in there..while I still had hot water (wish I had!).

Anyway, power is back on...bator is warmed back up....but I'm just heart sick and now instead of being so excited I can barely sleep I'm disappointed and apprehensive about my hatch! [​IMG] [​IMG]

What do you think - any hope?!

8. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    Old post - but how did your hatch end up turning out?

9. I'mACountryGirl

I'mACountryGirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2010
    Elizabeth, Colorado
    Well, I don't head into lockdown on the first batch of bantam cochin eggs until Sunday, but I candled them last night and believe it or not!!!...it looks like I have 7 out of 7 live babies in those eggs!! That's amazing even if I didn't have a power failure!!! I am still really keeping my fingers crossed, but I am so excited I can hardly stand it!!

I also have 12 call duck eggs in there and it looks like I have 5 live with most of the others never fertilized, but they are several days behind the bantam eggs, so still too soon to know for sure... [​IMG]

Again, I am just so excited that even 1 egg survived those extreme low temps ~ feels like a teeny weeny miracle!!

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  10. tia

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    I have eight eggs in two incubators that are due to hatch next Monday..... so far they look pretty good. I had twenty eggs, but I think quite a few weren't fertile. I don't think the temperature being out did anything. Hopefully they will hatch soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by