1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

incubator mix up, what breed chick??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by horsiefly53, Dec 17, 2012.

1. horsiefly53

horsiefly53 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2012
    East Central FL
    My friend has a 400 egg incubator and hatched Ameraucana eggs for me that I ordered from ebay. At the same time she was hatching eggs for herself and another friend. She put blue dots with sharpie on mine as they hatched. Mine hatched a few days before the other ones she said. I have three yellow/gray chicks iwth bright yellow feathered legs. I do not think they are Ameraucana. it is possible that they are blue marans.
    [​IMG]

Here's some of the other chicks including the yellow/gray ones on bottom left and right
    [​IMG]

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i see a bunch of EE's in that pic and if those came out of blue eggs then no they are not marans but olive eggers but if they came out of a dark brown then yes they could be marans. with that many eggs they could have very easily gotten mixed up

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  3. horsiefly53

Oct 11, 2012
    East Central FL
    You think they are EEs and not Ameraucana? I was wondering about that because in the ebay listing, she said the eggs were blue, green to olive.I don't know much about chickens yet, but I know Ameraucana eggs are not supposed to be olive. The eggs she sent were all a shade of mint green-at least the eggs that I gave her to hatch. My eggs were on one tray by themselves but I know chicks can fall from one level to another.

4. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    A good way to check to see if the seller really is selling true Ameraucanas and knows what she's talking about is to ask what color they are - there are only 8 possibilities!

There are varying shades of blue that seem to be accepted as Ameraucana colors, but I don't think mint green is one!

It looks like you had a good hatch rate? If you truly have EE's, as long as you don't mind them, I think you'll love them. Mine are friendly, good layers, just all around nice.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  5. horsiefly53

Oct 11, 2012
    East Central FL
    Thanks, I went to the Ameraucana Breeder site and looked at all their chick pics. Then I went back to my ebay sellers listing and in her colorfully lettered and bold print she states PUREBRED AMERAUCANAS and then in the item description listing above that under brand is easter eggers. LOL I know I will enjoy them. They are so cute in there peeping up a storm. I have two EEs I bought last spring and they are my best layers. Still wondering about the yellow/gray feather legged chicks tho. [​IMG]

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    you may have some nice olive eggers

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by