incubator newb... please help my eggies!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by adbayer, Jun 19, 2010.

1. adbayer

adbayer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2010
    i have a broody banty.. and no rooster! so instead of denying her momma hood, we decided we were ready to add to our flock.
    today i made a homemade incubator, and we ordered 8 fertilized eggs.
    they should arrive tomorrow!
    but im having trouble finding what i need to do.
    i do know i need it to be between 99-101F
    i do know i need to turn them atleast once a day.
    but thats it!!!
    how long should it take.. seems like everyone says 25 days max.
    how high should the humidity be?
    what is lockdown?
    and how do i know how to do it?
    should i bother candling?
    and how do i go about that?
    how long should hatching take from peeps(?) to free chick!!
    when can i take them out of the incubator, and do i need to provide feed/water in there?
    and how long should they stay in a brooder box? what should temp be in there?
    and lastly... how many can i safely put under my banty you think?

please help me figure out what to do, i would much appreciate it! i want to do it right.. but am having trouble finding the proper info!

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Why not just put the eggs under the broody and let her do all the work? That's what she is wanting to do anyway...

3. adbayer

Jun 6, 2010
    i will put some under her.. but shes is a banty and small, and i dont think i could fit 8 regular sized eggs under her.
    a little more research, i have learned to lock down the incubator after day 18.
    and to keep humidity at above 65% after lock down.
    im attemptin to figure it out.

4. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    I think you really should turn them at least 3 times per day, its really important for the embryo's health. If you can fit an automatic egg turne in your bator, it will help you out with that. Temps should stay between 99.5 and 101 degrees optimimly. You can pick up a Hygrometer at walmart for 7 to 10 bucks depending on the model. Mine shows temp and humidity, I check it like a fiend!!! [​IMG] The egg hatching forum here is really great, if you want to do more research, go into the older postings, there is alot of really great info.

What breed of chicks are you hatching?

Good luck with your hatch, and keep us posted!

5. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:

6. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I'd also add that since you made your incubator one day and are setting eggs the next, I wouldn't be too diappointed when you get poor results if I were you. Ideally you should let a new incubator of any kind regulate for a few days before putting eggs in, homemade bators can take a week to get regulated properly...

7. adbayer

Jun 6, 2010
    thank you so much!
    i ordered a hydrometer! its on its way, i hope it gets here tomorrow, if not i might just go buy one.
    and i can do 3 times a day [​IMG] thats not so hard.

i ordered 8, was sent 13! one is broken, and one cracked, but its just hte shell not the membrane...

standard laced polish, 4 of those
    some silver spangeled spitshauben or however you spell it
    bantam splashed polish- 3
    standard buff laced polish- 1
    banty white crested polish, 1
    buff polish 1
    and mottled houdan 1
    i am very excited!!!

8. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Fun! Now let the eggs rest for a while before you put them in (points down for resting)...about 12 hours or so (some do 24 hours).

9. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    I would honestly give them to your broody. Or at least eight of them. And you need to get your homemade incubator on and running, and check your temps night and day and your humidity. I have a commercially made incubator (well, three actually) and I tested them all out before setting eggs. How much water I needed for incubating, and how much more to add for hatching. Humidity is determined by the water's surface area, not it's depth. Also, tweaking the thermostat so the temperature was just right. Just make sure you set your eggs in the incubator within 24 hours of giving eggs to your broody as if they hatch days and days apart, you could have mothering issues where she may not accept the new ones, or abandon the lot.

Happy hatching!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by