Incubator Newbie needs help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GreenAcresChick, Mar 8, 2013.

1. GreenAcresChick

GreenAcresChick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2013
    Alabama (Gulf Coast)
    This is my first attempt at incubating chicken eggs. I have2 incubators, a Hovabator with automatic turners and a Little Giant still air for the hatcher. Currently I have 8 BCM on day 22 with no pipping, and some assorted Cubalaya at day 21. One on the Cubalaya pipped and was pecking and chirping last night, but was dead when I got home from work this afternoon. I broke open the shell and it was fully developed. The hatcher is at 65-75% humidity, but has had some temp variations (97-107 on 2 different occasions) since they were placed at day 18. Now the hatcher has a bad odor. So.....Do I assume the rest of the eggs are goners, or do I wait another couple of days. I've read as much as I can find, but still made some mistakes (obviously).Any advise is appreciated. I have moved the incubators to a more stable ambient environment so the temp variations should not continue to be a problem. WHAT DO I DO NOW?????

2. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

get a digital thermostat for you LG and start again. a spike to 107 is a chick killer.

i use a http://www.ebay.com/itm/16080942436...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649. then i plug my farm innovators chick killer into the thermostat. problem solved

3. GreenAcresChick

Jan 11, 2013
    Alabama (Gulf Coast)
    Thanks. I figured I would need to write them off. Thanks for the link to a better thermostat. How would I attach that to my LG?

4. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

i used an extension cord that i cut, the male end goes to the power outlet on the wall and then supplies power to thermostat. the female end of the cord goes to the power plug on the incubator. Use the didgital thermostat to set desired temp and then crank the bators thermostat to full. The sensor from the digital will control the bator.

I have a 40 egg set in my modified bator with 90% veining at 7 days.its at a rock solid 100F

good luck

5. Jucknath

Jucknath Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2012
    Oz how much amperage can the digital control without a Solid State Relay?

6. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

5 amps. thats 550 watts. more than enough for an incubator heater.

7. Jucknath

Jucknath Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2012
    OK great, I just ordered one for a back up

8. GreenAcresChick

Jan 11, 2013
    Alabama (Gulf Coast)
    OZEXPAT
    Looking at the thermostat on ebay, I don't know which to order. They offer a 12V, 110V and a 220V. I have someone who can handle the wiring, but I want to order the right one.

9. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

110v for usa

10. GreenAcresChick

Jan 11, 2013
    Alabama (Gulf Coast)
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by