incubator not heating up

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Roxannemc, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Worrying about my bator.heating Hovabator 1602N
    i have 2 but some eggs are going to lockdown today.Day `18 or should
    i have been trying to get the temp up to 99 in the lockdown bator since last night in incruments and so far its only gone to 94.5. Wonder if the heater is going outl Havent had this happen before with it.Usuall yit comes on close to 98 -101 on start up.
    l. It is warming as i turn higher just slightly at a time. I just turned it 2 big turns see what happens
    What can i do to get enough heat in there until i can figure something out if it wont go up enough? . Havent moved the eggs into it yet. They are in my genesis still with the others.
    Ideas anyone?.
    Im no electrician so no wiring stuff please.Thanks ahead

EDIT......After 24 hours ....Its up from 90 to 98.3 now so guess it will be ok...i hope..

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    oh crux Rox!!! what do you think it was? I hope the wire isnt loose.

3. LukensFarms

LukensFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    Fort Collins, CO
    Put insulation like towels or blankets around it. Don't plug the air holes.

4. Roxannemc

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Heatng but so so slowly It got to 93.1 and then i just left it alone there and now no reason nothing changed its down to 97. something .Just turned it up more..and its 98.1...brother i am afraid its conking out ..I had cleaned it right before lock but never had a problem after cleaning befrore stayed the same like 98-100 ?Think iwore it out ruingit almost steady 24/7 since June? HAHA
    SO glad my other Bator is a 1588!
    None of this stress Wish i had a second

Wonder if i should try and make one in case? Dont know how long it would take me though.Just for lock so dont need a fan that much etc.just heat , water and a screen and a peep hole..

Lucky girl...A friend got 2 genesis off Craigs i think for$ 160 with turners .What a deal

5. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

6. Roxannemc

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Thanks Sally Good idea but it went down again so
    i turned up some more and went up to almost 100 might have to back it off but scared it will drop too far..
    .Boy i was up off and on al night checking ahd i guess tonite agian worriying more it will spike than anything
    .Maybe its the turning mechinism isnt working well as it seem to be putting the heat out now..
    .Just looked ....Now it dropped again for no reason to 98.8 guess its close enough if it stays around there Day20 tomorrow and thats the day they often start to hatch for me.I really will be [​IMG]. tonite wit htis going on.

Thanks Luke... i might wrap a towel around it too. Cant hurt Should drop some glass bead in there for heat sincs but afraid it will mess it up more and i am ruinning out of time to mess around !

Boy just when you think you have hatching down...some new thing isnt it?

7. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    How is it holding today Roxs?

8. LukensFarms

LukensFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    Fort Collins, CO
    I hope no news is good news.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by