Incubator on lockdown, after poorly timed transition out of turner.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NurseNettie, May 12, 2010.

1. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Well, I've got pips and peeps coming from the incubator. Sad to say, I had to pull out the turner after the pips had started, but it was not to be avoided--ended up in the ER Sunday morning, surgery Sunday afternoon, and not home til last night again. Hubby kept an eye on temps for me, but having to work, take care of the chickens, turkeys, quail, our cockatoos, and still work nights-- I didn't even consider asking him to try to make the move yesterday morning for me ( he's never done it) and I was exhausted when I got home last night ( not to mention woozy and medicated, the incubator on the floor upstairs where I couldn't get to it) that I couldnt' do it til today. The bator was open as short a time as possible, all under cover of blankets, eggs kept out ( in a blankie while I pulled turner out) for just moments, and back in. Loud peeping still to be heard.
    I know I've slowed the progression, and possibly ruined some hatching results, I'm sure.. Didn't want to risk having 50 eggs hatch out in/around/on the turner though.

And, of course, emergencies always wait til the third week of a hatch, right before a chicken swap to happen, right? LOL

Wish me luck!!!

Edited to add: Last night was day 18, today is 19. My hatches usually start on 18 and complete on 20. So I'm hoping for decent results by Friday, and a nice amount of day-olds to take to the swap on Saturday ( or send with a friend if I'm not up to going)

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  2. daniellenoel

daniellenoel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Vail Colorado
    good luck.
    I am waiting for mine to hatch, we are on the end of day 22 but nothing yet.
    I also had to open the incubator to add more water b/c it was bone dry in there. But I do not have any pips yet so I am thinking they are all set but no pips yet!!
    Wish me luck

3. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    Good luck! sounds like you did the least amount of "damage" possible and hopefully nothing bad will happen!

4. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Well, an hour and a half later...... got a hatch!!! Holy cow, that loud little pipper was a quick zip and now just in there hollering!!! They're all barnyard mixes- This hatched out of a big brown egg-- it's black, with white wing-tips, and a white blotch in front of it's neck. Pink feet. Guessing my barred rock/x rooster over one of the barred rock/x hens. Possible it's one out of the other group that has a Mixed rooster that's some sort of game bird mix- mostly white with lots of red/green/ black feathers, and one of the hens that's a descendent of my old black australorp rooster and one of the barred rock/x hens.

5. daniellenoel

daniellenoel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Vail Colorado
    cool- congrats
    my husband went to check mine. still nothing..[​IMG]
    Starting to lose hope.
    humidity was at 63% so he added a little water... still not a peep or pip..
    gosh!! tomorrow will be day 23,
    could they have been trying to get out and then not make it some of them were moving around a little and now not much,
    and should I help?????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by